Deal close to bring new cinema to Ely, council confirms
- Credit: Archant
TALKS to bring a new cinema development to Ely are at an “advanced stage” East Cambridgeshire District Council announced today.
Following a public consultation last year, land at Downham Road, near the Ely Outdoor Sports Association, was identified as the best place to build a multiplex cinema.
The site has also been earmarked for a leisure centre, though funding is still not in place for the proposed centre.
The district council is now in detailed talks with what it described as a “national developer” to bring forward an application for approval by councillors by the end of the year.
Councillor Peter Moakes, chairman of the development and transport committee, said: “Since we announced the results of the cinema consultation at the end of last year, we have sought proposals from the cinema developers across the country and have narrowed it down to one preferred developer. We are very encouraged by the nature of the discussions and the initial plans which are being proposed. We are working hard to ensure a cinema will be open within the next two years.
You may also want to watch:
“As the district grows, we have to develop the necessary infrastructure to meet the growing needs of our population. A new cinema is just one of the many building blocks required to ensure our residents have the leisure services they tell us they want – this was one of the key wishes from the Ely Masterplan consultation. This is why our work to develop enable the district to grow through the masterplanning process is so important.”
For more information please call 01353 665555 or logon to www.eastcambs.gov.uk
- 1 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 2 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 3 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 4 G's to help save Christmas for poultry industry
- 5 New Ely cinema, royal visit, Welney gets a hall and Thomas a new car
- 6 High-flying 'humble' gymnast, 9, top of the tree on county debut
- 7 Yellow weather warning issued for Cambridgeshire
- 8 80 ‘pieces of graffiti’ removed by council in just six months
- 9 Triple judo Olympic champion to give masterclass for Ely Dojo
- 10 Lets get Cambridgeshire back on the buses says mayor