Daring Network Rail team raise £10,000 for St. Thomas’ Lupus Trust by jumping out of plane
- Credit: Archant
A team of 20 Network Rail staff traded in their train tickets for a plane ticket on Friday to raise £10,000 in aid of St. Thomas’ Lupus Trust.
The employees were challenged to jump out of a plane at Sibson Airfield in Peterborough after one of their colleagues was diagnosed with lupus last August.
Lee Horwood, who took part in the skydive, said: “It didn´t quite seem like it was happening until I watched my friend hanging out the door of the plane.
“One moment he was there and then the next he dropped and was gone in an instant.”
Another employee, Chris Ellington, said: “That was amazing.
You may also want to watch:
“It was nothing like I thought it would be, but it really makes you feel alive.
“I just want to go up and do a second one now!”
- 1 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 2 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 3 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 4 £330,000 fraudster burning evidence as police raid his home
- 5 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 6 Fundraiser for mum with terminal cancer to 'have a good Christmas with her family'
- 7 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 8 Stanley, 95, publishes first book to beat lockdown blues
- 9 Residents asked to share ideas on how improve cycling and walking in East Cambs town
- 10 Golf club's £8,850 donation for dementia singing charity All In Sound
Originally the date of the jump was the 12th of August but after British weather played it´s part it had to be re-booked. Nevertheless our daredevils were not to be derailed by the weather and turned up at Sibson Airfield ready to go.
Rachel Swinnerton, who helped organise the event, said: “I thought it was awesome.
“I loved the freefall part and I´d do it again in a heartbeat.”
Four of the team are now looking to continue in the sport and get skydiving licenses.
The St. Thomas’ Lupus Trust is a registered charity dedicated to raising funds to support the work of the Lupus Research Team and the patient unit at St. Thomas Hospital.
To donate, visit www.justgiving.com/fundraising/Network-Rail-Ely-Depot or for more information about skydiving at Sibson Airfield visit www.skydivesibson.co.uk