Daniel hoping to bridge the generation gap with marathon effort
- Credit: Archant
DANIEL Walker is preparing for the formidable challenge of running the London Marathon on Sunday to help tackle loneliness and isolation across generations.
The Ely resident will be one of hundreds of runners pounding the streets of the capital and raising funds for a life-changing project to be launched by this year’s joint official marathon charities, Age UK and YouthNet.
The charities are calling on runners to take part the race to help raise £1million to fund an innovative new service where young volunteers will help isolated older people get online.
First-time marathon runner Daniel, 24, said: “I’m thrilled to be part of ‘Team Run for It’, Age UK and YouthNet’s marathon team, as I have wanted to help Age UK for a long time.
“I am currently a member of the British Legion and a number of my fellow members have told me all about the great help they receive from Age UK. Moreover, I am very sporty and love a challenge. So putting these two facts together, running the marathon to help people in need seems to make a lot of sense!
You may also want to watch:
“I have taken part in numerous training runs, including two half-marathons. These runs have both built up my stamina and allowed me to raise money for the charity as some of them have been sponsored.
“My dad runs the local supermarket and I have recently been helping out with bag packing, another activity that has bolstered my fundraising.”
- 1 Opposition sign historic power sharing agreement to seize control of county council
- 2 Two men with links to Cottenham on 'most wanted' list
- 3 Woman dies after being hit by lorry
- 4 £100k homes scrapped 'with almost immediate effect' says Mayor
- 5 'Horrific ordeal' of saleswoman tied up, restrained and sexually assaulted
- 6 Charity shop supervisor fraudster must pay back £2,550
- 7 Railways to royalty - a nostalgic look at Ely and Cambridgeshire
- 8 Man arrested on suspicion of assault
- 9 Watch as police smash their way into suspected drug dealer’s flat
- 10 Residents reminisce as they dance, drink and get tattoos
To support Daniel visit his fundraising page at http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/DanielWalker10.