Daniel hoping to bridge the generation gap with marathon effort
- Credit: Archant
DANIEL Walker is preparing for the formidable challenge of running the London Marathon on Sunday to help tackle loneliness and isolation across generations.
The Ely resident will be one of hundreds of runners pounding the streets of the capital and raising funds for a life-changing project to be launched by this year’s joint official marathon charities, Age UK and YouthNet.
The charities are calling on runners to take part the race to help raise £1million to fund an innovative new service where young volunteers will help isolated older people get online.
First-time marathon runner Daniel, 24, said: “I’m thrilled to be part of ‘Team Run for It’, Age UK and YouthNet’s marathon team, as I have wanted to help Age UK for a long time.
“I am currently a member of the British Legion and a number of my fellow members have told me all about the great help they receive from Age UK. Moreover, I am very sporty and love a challenge. So putting these two facts together, running the marathon to help people in need seems to make a lot of sense!
You may also want to watch:
“I have taken part in numerous training runs, including two half-marathons. These runs have both built up my stamina and allowed me to raise money for the charity as some of them have been sponsored.
“My dad runs the local supermarket and I have recently been helping out with bag packing, another activity that has bolstered my fundraising.”
- 1 Emergency services – including two air ambulances – rush to A10 crash
- 2 Max and Chloe become pioneers of community housing success in Cambs village
- 3 Company ‘paralysed by Brexit’ forced to open warehouse in Holland
- 4 Covid-19 numbers in Fenland higher than rest of county
- 5 Former Top Gear star Rory Reid spotted filming with Lamborghini
- 6 Chief executive takes 'personal oversight' of inquiry into deputy leader's farm tenancy
- 7 Biggest village in Cambridgeshire to get even bigger
- 8 Burglar who was spared by judge stole from woman three days later
- 9 New youth centre could be built in Littleport
- 10 Pedestrian dies crossing busy Cambridgeshire road
To support Daniel visit his fundraising page at http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/DanielWalker10.