Daniel hoping to bridge the generation gap with marathon effort
- Credit: Archant
DANIEL Walker is preparing for the formidable challenge of running the London Marathon on Sunday to help tackle loneliness and isolation across generations.
The Ely resident will be one of hundreds of runners pounding the streets of the capital and raising funds for a life-changing project to be launched by this year’s joint official marathon charities, Age UK and YouthNet.
The charities are calling on runners to take part the race to help raise £1million to fund an innovative new service where young volunteers will help isolated older people get online.
First-time marathon runner Daniel, 24, said: “I’m thrilled to be part of ‘Team Run for It’, Age UK and YouthNet’s marathon team, as I have wanted to help Age UK for a long time.
“I am currently a member of the British Legion and a number of my fellow members have told me all about the great help they receive from Age UK. Moreover, I am very sporty and love a challenge. So putting these two facts together, running the marathon to help people in need seems to make a lot of sense!
“I have taken part in numerous training runs, including two half-marathons. These runs have both built up my stamina and allowed me to raise money for the charity as some of them have been sponsored.
“My dad runs the local supermarket and I have recently been helping out with bag packing, another activity that has bolstered my fundraising.”
- 1 Inside the £165,000 luxury river boat for sale in the Fens
- 2 See inside this £1.7m country house with its own lake near Ely
- 3 Weekend closure for A142 for bridge works between Ely and Chatteris
- 4 Coach shocked as girls football idea goes from strength to strength
- 5 Princess Anne unveils new 'national treasure' Jubilee table in Ely
- 6 Village toasts Queen's Platinum Jubilee with a memorable touch
- 7 See inside this Grade II listed former pub with self-contained annexe
- 8 Villagers can be proud says school head as Ofsted gives thumbs up
- 9 MBR Acres releases image of graffiti message
- 10 7 great places to get a bottomless brunch in Cambridgeshire
To support Daniel visit his fundraising page at http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/DanielWalker10.