Master of Emmanuel College, Cambridge, Dame Fiona Reynolds inspires students at King’s Ely’s James Bowman Lecture
- Credit: Archant
Dame Fiona Reynolds was guest speaker at King’s Ely’s James Bowman Lecture this year.
Dame Fiona, who is Master of Emmanuel College, Cambridge and former director-general of the National Trust, inspired senior students, staff, Old Eleans and guests at the annual lecture, which was held in the school’s Hayward Theatre on October 5.
Dame Fiona spoke about her book, The Fight for Beauty, in which she writes about the world around is, examining landscapes and urbanisation.
Principal of King’s Ely, Sue Freestone, said: “It was a real privilege to welcome Dame Fiona to King’s Ely. Her talk was impassioned and compelling, and she presented some challenging concepts to our students. We could not have had a better speaker.”
The James Bowman Lecture was established by King’s Ely three years ago to promote the creative and liberal arts at the school, and is generously supported by the Old Eleans’ Club.
You may also want to watch:
James Bowman, CBE, is a world-renowned counter-tenor, whose career spans opera, oratorio and solo recitals. He was educated at King’s Ely between 1951 and 1960, singing as a boy chorister at Ely Cathedral, before going on to study at New College, Oxford, where he was a member of New College and Christ Church choirs.
- 1 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 2 Binmen revolt over alleged bullying, poor pay, low morale and staffing crisis
- 3 £330,000 fraudster burning evidence as police raid his home
- 4 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 5 Three charged after £2m Hotpoint arson attack
- 6 Retired murder detective, Russell, releases first book in new crime series
- 7 Ely Cathedral hosts legendary jockey Frankie Dettori's only book signing
- 8 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 9 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 10 Residents asked to share ideas on how improve cycling and walking in East Cambs town