Daily dumping outside Littleport charity shop prompts renewed message that they operate an out of hours drop off service
- Credit: Archant
A charity shop is offering to open its doors outside usual opening hours to stop people dumping rubbish every night.
Volunteers at Branching Out are able to pop in for pre-arranged times so that people can drop off their donations after having a home de cluttering session.
General manager Susan Wiggans said: “When things are dumped on the doorstep most of the good stuff gets stolen and bags are rifled through.
“If it rains the goods become soaked. It blocks the door and means sorting out donations takes twice as long for our volunteers.
“If people call in advance we can arrange a time to be at the shop so if people can’t make it during normal opening hours they can drop off at a more convenient time for them.”
You may also want to watch:
The shop last year forked out £3,174.35 on rubbish clearance which is money that could be better spent supporting vulnerable adults.
“We in no way want to discourage donations or want people to think we are not grateful as we really are, but we would just urge people to think before dropping things off out of hours.”
- 1 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 2 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 3 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 4 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 5 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 6 Police buy clothes for Iranian children rescued from lorry
- 7 City short-listed to house Museum of Brexit
- 8 Sparkling sake brewery launches in Ely
- 9 Bid to ban ex- mayor running pub “a joke” says cabinet member
- 10 Have your say on plans to improve city rail station
Branching Out offer a programme of varied activities for adults with learning disabilities and the community and also provides transport.
In 2003 the group opened its first charity shop in Littleport and in 2007 they opened a new building at the head office to provide a kitchen and dining area, a utility room, and more toilets.
• To arrange an out of hours drop off service call shop manager Simon Garner on 01353-863561.