Suspected paedophile, 61, arrested in live Facebook video stream
- Credit: Facebook/Souloceptors
A 61-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of engaging in sexual communications with a child after being challenged on his doorstep by an online community group.
Souloceptors, a group said to be ‘helping to stop child exploitation’, confronted the man, originally from Wisbech, at Robingoodfellows Lane in March.
With almost 30,000 followers, thousands of people tuned in as representatives from the Facebook group approached the now March man.
As they question the man, a member of the group contacts Cambridgeshire Police before they arrive and the video is stopped.
Another video posted to the Souloceptors page shows the man being placed into the back of the police van before being taken away for questioning.
You may also want to watch:
A police spokesperson said: “A 61-year-old man from March was arrested on suspicion of engaging in sexual communications with a child.
“He has since been released under investigation.”
- 1 Did you go to Newmarket Nights? Spot yourself in our gallery
- 2 Residents told 'not to approach' illegal encampment
- 3 Not breaking news: Vicar with a vision, illegal fishing, workhouses and fork theft
- 4 Sweet Caroline and a dodgy knee - review of Olly Murs at Newmarket Nights
- 5 Jail for 'predator' who raped vulnerable woman in children's play park
- 6 Knife attack man jailed for 10 years over £20 'debt'
- 7 Blush crowned best bridal shop in Cambs
- 8 Fire crews called to stables building blaze
- 9 Hundreds sign petition in support of pub's cup of positivi-tea
- 10 Have a BREW-TIFUL day says the pub with a giant tea cup outside
The Facebook ‘vigilantes’ who confronted the man told him the being recorded “for your safety and my safety”.
The man denies being involved in any sexual chatrooms that involved children.
Repeatedly they are heard pressing him whether he felt it “acceptable to be chatting with two 12-year-old kids?”
The Facebook group members are seen cautioning the man about going back inside his home, threatening to tell neighbours what is going on.
They tell him they don’t want him deleting images and messages from his mobile phone ahead of the police arriving.
The video captures the moment police, with sirens, arrive at the house.