Alcohol shoplifter threatened security staff with large blade
- Credit: Cambs Cops
An alcohol shoplifter who threatened a security guard with a knife while attempting to steal drinks has been jailed.
Police received a 999 call from the public after Marcus Sapra and Jason Armstrong ran from the Co-Op in Perne Road, Cambridge, on January 17.
The pair were found in Rustat Road and arrested after Sapra dropped the knife and was verbally abusive to officers.
They were also found with four cans of beer, two bottles of wine and two cans of gin.
At Cambridge Magistrates’ Court yesterday (January 26) Sapra, 34, of Birdwood Road, Cambridge, was sentenced to 11 months in prison.
He pleading guilty to three counts of shoplifting, possession of a bladed article in a public place, a public order offence and breaching a Criminal Behvaiour Order.
Jason Armstrong, 43, of Station Square, Cambridge was sentenced to 12 weeks in prison at an earlier hearing on January 19.
- 1 Cambridgeshire man kicked and headbutted police officers
- 2 Casualty treated for smoke inhalation following house fire
- 3 Have your say on proposed commercial development in Ely
- 4 Smoke plume in village near Cambridge thought to be car fire
- 5 Threat to cancel or 'indefinitely pause' £450m Ely rail upgrade
- 6 Headteacher ‘extremely proud’ after school receives games mark award
- 7 Duke and Duchess of Cambridge arrive in Newmarket for Cambs County Day
- 8 Stansted Airport and Cambridge trains disrupted after tree falls on tracks
- 9 IN PICTURES: Wills and Kate visit Cambridgeshire's first County Day
- 10 Vehicle fire caused heavy traffic on A14
He pleaded guilty to two counts of shoplifting, a public order offence and possession of a class C drug.
Detective Constable Richard Rose said: “The pair have shown no regard for the shops and their staff.
“By carrying a knife, Sapra was not only putting himself in danger but also innocent members of the public.
“Abuse, whether it be physical or verbal, against emergency workers, who were simply trying to do their jobs, is unacceptable and will not be tolerated.”