Sex offences one of highest crimes in East Cambs over three years
- Credit: Cambridgeshire Constabulary
Violence and sexual offences was the most prevalent crime to be committed in East Cambridgeshire in the last three years.
Figures from national policing website, Police.uk, found 4,955 violence and sexual crimes were committed in the district between March 2019 and January 2022.
The next most prominent crime over this period was anti-social behaviour, where 2,916 offences were recorded.
In the latest monthly figures, which are for January 2022, 37.7 per cent of all crimes committed in East Cambs related to violence and sexual offences.
A spokesperson for Cambridgeshire Police said: “East Cambridgeshire is an incredibly safe place to live, and we have a team of officers who are dedicated to tackling criminality.
"The categories of sexual offences and violence are broad and cover a wide range of offences.
"A considerable amount of work has also been done in recent years to encourage survivors of sexual offences to make reports."
- 1 EastEnders star Adam Woodyatt ‘to work at restaurant in Cambridgeshire’
- 2 Inferno BBQ to be occupied by sister company Forbidden Burger Co
- 3 Middlesbrough couple found in Cambs with drugs worth around £37,000
- 4 Cambridge: Police officer had surgery after sex offender drove car at them
- 5 Table made from 5,000-year-old oak tree to be unveiled at Ely Cathedral in honour of The Queen
- 6 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 7 Superintendent dons rainbow helmet against hate crime on #IDAHOBIT
- 8 'Gas engineer' reportedly stole two phones and a purse in Haddenham
- 9 See inside this £1.7m country house with its own lake near Ely
- 10 Inside the £165,000 luxury river boat for sale in the Fens
There was also a rise in the total number of crimes for January this year, increasing to 416 from 372 in December 2021 and 396 the month before.
However, the latest three-month period found a drop in offences in the district.
Between October and December 2021, there were 1,136 crimes committed, the lowest figure recorded in three years since April to June 2019.
The police spokesperson added: "We have a team of experienced and specially trained officers who investigate serious sexual offences and support victims.
“Tackling sexual offences and violent crime are priorities and we will continue to do all we can to support victims and bring the perpetrators of crime to justice.”