Man who travelled to Cambridgeshire to commit ‘weekend crime spree’ jailed for nine years
- Credit: Archant
A knife-wielding 53-year-old man from Liverpool who robbed a Cambridgeshire village bookmakers’ and Co-op over the same weekend has been jailed for nine years.
Kenneth Dring threatened staff with the knife, forcing them to hand over cash.
The first robbery happened on Friday April 6 at Coral bookmakers in High Street, Histon.
At 8pm Dring walked in and vaulted over the counter with a knife in his hand.
He waved the knife towards a staff member, demanding that he open the safe before stealing £275 and fleeing the scene on a bike.
You may also want to watch:
Two days later he robbed the Co-op on Station Road, Histon.
First entering the shop at 10pm to ask if there were any jobs he returned an hour later, held a knife to the manager’s back, and fled with £2,000.
- 1 Did you go to Newmarket Nights? Spot yourself in our gallery
- 2 Residents told 'not to approach' illegal encampment
- 3 Not breaking news: Vicar with a vision, illegal fishing, workhouses and fork theft
- 4 Sweet Caroline and a dodgy knee - review of Olly Murs at Newmarket Nights
- 5 Blush crowned best bridal shop in Cambs
- 6 Jail for 'predator' who raped vulnerable woman in children's play park
- 7 Knife attack man jailed for 10 years over £20 'debt'
- 8 Hundreds sign petition in support of pub's cup of positivi-tea
- 9 Father murders daughter’s ex-partner in 'frenzied' multiple knife attack
- 10 Drug dealer hid £130,000 at home
Police identified Dring from CCTV from both shops. When arrested, he was found with the jacket and trainers he wore during the robbery.
On Friday (August 17) Dring, of Boode Croft, Liverpool, was jailed at Cambridge Crown Court after pleading guilty to two counts of robbery and two counts of possessing an offensive weapon in public.
DC Lisa Bacon said: “These robberies left several victims fearing for their lives, which has understandably left them shaken.
“This sentence reflects the severity of Dring’s actions and shows the tough stance the criminal justice system takes on knife crime.”