Crime in East Cambridgeshire falls by more than 20%
- Credit: Archant
CRIME in East Cambridgeshire dropped by more than 20 per cent in the last year, with 725 fewer incidents compared to last year, annual figures have revealed.
Statistics produced by Cambridgeshire Constabulary for the year ending March 31, show there were 2,877 crimes in 2012/13 a 20.1 per cent drop on the year before, when 3,602 crimes were recorded.
Countywide, there were 46,435 crimes in 2012/13, a 10.1 per cent drop on the year before.
Of the seven categories of crimes recorded by police in East Cambs, six showed falls, with incidents of both robbery and arson dropping by more than 60 per cent year on year, according to the force.
There was one area where crime was up however, with burglary showing a an 8.4 per cent increase from 226 incidents last year, to 245 this year. Assistant Chief Constable Mark Hopkins, said: “The force has undergone significant changes in the past two years so I am very pleased that we have maintained our focus on tackling crime.
You may also want to watch:
“These reductions in crime have also been achieved in a challenging economic climate when the assumption might be that crime would rise.
“However, we will not be complacent. The financial constraints on the force continue and it is our priority to ensure Cambridgeshire remains a hostile place for criminals.”
- 1 Restaurant launches bright pink ‘selfie areas’ ahead of reopening
- 2 Throwback to places and faces of Ely's past
- 3 Three arrests after suspected brothel discovered
- 4 Dispersal order to tackle aggressive begging, street drinking and thefts
- 5 Jail for man caught carrying meat cleaver in public after missing tools argument
- 6 Residents ‘left without a voice’ over anti-social car park behaviour
- 7 Popular food delivery service Deliveroo launches in city this week
- 8 Businesses reopen as lockdown restrictions ease
- 9 Fire crews tackling woodland blaze carried pump and equipment 200 metres
- 10 Boy George and Culture Club announce Audley End concert
All crime: 2,877 (-20.1%)
Burglary: 245 (+8.4%)
Robbery: 4 (-63.6%)
Vehicle crime: 327 (-30.1%)
All assault with injury: 153 (-3.8%)
All criminal damage: 372 (-26.9%)
Arson: 9 (-62.5%)
All theft and handling: 1,127 (-19.8%)