Crime in East Cambridgeshire falls by more than 20%
- Credit: Archant
CRIME in East Cambridgeshire dropped by more than 20 per cent in the last year, with 725 fewer incidents compared to last year, annual figures have revealed.
Statistics produced by Cambridgeshire Constabulary for the year ending March 31, show there were 2,877 crimes in 2012/13 a 20.1 per cent drop on the year before, when 3,602 crimes were recorded.
Countywide, there were 46,435 crimes in 2012/13, a 10.1 per cent drop on the year before.
Of the seven categories of crimes recorded by police in East Cambs, six showed falls, with incidents of both robbery and arson dropping by more than 60 per cent year on year, according to the force.
There was one area where crime was up however, with burglary showing a an 8.4 per cent increase from 226 incidents last year, to 245 this year. Assistant Chief Constable Mark Hopkins, said: “The force has undergone significant changes in the past two years so I am very pleased that we have maintained our focus on tackling crime.
You may also want to watch:
“These reductions in crime have also been achieved in a challenging economic climate when the assumption might be that crime would rise.
“However, we will not be complacent. The financial constraints on the force continue and it is our priority to ensure Cambridgeshire remains a hostile place for criminals.”
- 1 Residents told 'not to approach' illegal encampment
- 2 Hundreds sign petition in support of pub's cup of positivi-tea
- 3 Marathon runner passes through Cambs on route to Kathmandu
- 4 Jail for 'predator' who raped vulnerable woman in children's play park
- 5 'It was as if Covid didn't exist' - Latitude-goers report positive tests
- 6 Fire crews called to stables building blaze
- 7 Photographer Dan flies high after winning national competition
- 8 Handcuffed duo prepare to make London Marathon history
- 9 Lorry driver who died in B1085 crash named
- 10 10-year-old's sponsored hair cut for Little Princess Trust
All crime: 2,877 (-20.1%)
Burglary: 245 (+8.4%)
Robbery: 4 (-63.6%)
Vehicle crime: 327 (-30.1%)
All assault with injury: 153 (-3.8%)
All criminal damage: 372 (-26.9%)
Arson: 9 (-62.5%)
All theft and handling: 1,127 (-19.8%)