Cambs hare coursing incidents at six-year low after 16 per cent decrease
- Credit: POLICING EAST CAMBS
Hare coursing incidents in Cambridgeshire have reduced by 16 per cent since last year and are at their lowest since 2014/15.
Over the past year (April 2020 to March 2021) the Cambridgeshire Rural Crime Team responded to 1,196 incidents as well as seizing 93 vehicles and issuing 138 community protection warnings and 17 community protection notices.
They also issued 165 dispersal notices, seized and rescued 20 dogs and a further 23 people have been summoned to court.
Sergeant Craig Flavell, who leads the team, said: “Hare coursing remains one of the biggest crimes to affect our rural communities and the team have worked hard to achieve some exceptional results.
“This year we’ve seen our biggest reduction in incidents since we reformed in 2016 but we’re not complacent and will continue to tackle those offending, drive hare coursing out of the county and bring those responsible to justice.
“We’re now focusing on a summer of proactive enforcement and warrants whilst continuing to support other areas of the force.”
The Rural Crime Team (RCAT) comprises nine officers and staff working across the county.
You may also want to watch:
As well as hare coursing they combat theft, heritage crime, hunting, rural and wildlife crime.
They work alongside partner agencies including the local and county councils, RSPCA, Environment Agency and Crown Prosecution Service.
- 1 Eight page enforcement notice wrapped round giant cuppa
- 2 Jail for 'predator' who raped vulnerable woman in children's play park
- 3 Fire crews called to stables building blaze
- 4 7 of the most expensive houses on the market in Cambridgeshire right now
- 5 Man with rare heart condition shares how free location app saved his life
- 6 Marathon runner passes through Cambs on route to Kathmandu
- 7 Threatening domestic abuser tracked and assaulted ex partner of 10 years
- 8 'It was as if Covid didn't exist' - Latitude-goers report positive tests
- 9 Handcuffed duo prepare to make London Marathon history
- 10 Cant's Drove loses 'worst road in the Fens' title
For updates follow @CambsRuralCops on Twitter.