Daughter warns of scamming after mum, 87, loses nearly £5k to roofing company
- Credit: Archant
A daughter is warning Cambridgeshire residents about recent scamming in the area after her mum lost nearly £5,000 to a roofing company.
The woman says the company has recently been putting numerous fliers through residents’ doors in March and the surrounding areas.
“They tried to scam my 87-year-old mother out of nearly £5,000 for roofing work she didn’t really need doing,” she said.
The woman believes that the company has only been set up for a week, and says the owner has “no experience of roofing at all”.
She shared what happened to her mum on social media, to make others aware of the situation and in hopes no one else is scammed by the company.
“The website is full of lies,” she said.
“He even tried to get my mum to go out with him to the cash point to draw out an advance of money.
- 1 Council 'completely ignoring' worsening footpath issue, says hairdresser
- 2 Driver has lucky escape from Waterbeach car crash fire
- 3 Two combine harvesters catch fire in under 12 hours
- 4 Councillors scrape through in tight Ely by-elections
- 5 Football club hosting 12-hour non-stop charity kickathon this weekend
- 6 Three King’s Ely colleagues, Susan, Steve and Hazel, retire from roles
- 7 Driver cleared by reason of insanity over death of Louis Thorold
- 8 Farmer ‘feeling low’ due to increasingly difficult working conditions
- 9 Man taken to hospital after falling in city centre
- 10 £9m testing firm hopes expansion can put city 'on scientific map'
“Very charming guy but complete scammer.”
For more information on scamming, please visit Cambridgeshire Constabulary’s website and search ‘door-to-door and courier fraud’.