Banned driver rammed police car in bid to escape
- Credit: Cambs Police
Banned driver Darren Wheeler reacted to being caught behind the wheel by ramming the police car that tried to stop him.
Police signalled for him to pull over which he did.
However, as soon as an officer got out of their vehicle he sped off in the opposite direction.
Police managed to catch up in Star Road, Peterborough, but Wheeler put his car into reverse and rammed their vehicle.
He continued to drive erratically, at times into the path of oncoming traffic, and on the pavement.
You may also want to watch:
As a result, officers decided to pursue at a distance so not to put the public at further risk.
The tactic paid off as Wheeler saw it as an opportunity to abandon the car and make a run for it.
- 1 Binmen revolt over alleged bullying, poor pay, low morale and staffing crisis
- 2 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 3 Ely Cathedral hosts legendary jockey Frankie Dettori's only book signing
- 4 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 5 Retired murder detective, Russell, releases first book in new crime series
- 6 £330,000 fraudster burning evidence as police raid his home
- 7 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 8 Could we face coronavirus restrictions over Christmas?
- 9 Covid-19 vaccine myths ‘biggest challenge’ in progress
- 10 Three charged after £2m Hotpoint arson attack
He was quickly arrested in Cavendish Street
Wheeler, 35, was first spotted swerving a Citroen C4 in Eastfield Road, Peterborough, on 9 August.
Wheeler, of Allexton Gardens, Peterborough, answered no comment in interview.
However, he has since pleaded guilty to dangerous driving and driving while disqualified.
On Wednesday (September 29) at Peterborough Crown Court, he was jailed for a year and disqualified from driving for a further two years on his release.
PC Matt Panks said: “The way Wheeler drove was completely irresponsible and it was only luck that nobody was badly injured. I’m pleased he was arrested before a serious collision took place and he has now been jailed.”