Courageous youngster Charlie to hit the water to raise money for Oxfam
- Credit: Archant
A daredevil youngster from Soham is to hop on his wakeboard and travel 10 miles along the River Ouse to raise money for charity.
Nine-year-old Charlie Saberton is a keen wakeboard and kneeboarder, and decided to go on a fundraising mission after a discussion between him, his mother and sister over breakfast.
“We were having breakfast last week and Charlie’s sister refused to eat her toast,” said his mother, Rachel.
“I said ‘there are people in the world that would love to eat that toast’ and Charlie agreed, saying that there’s people who have to drink dirty water all over the world.
“He then offered to £10 of his own money to help them, and I said ‘why not get sponsored and raise money doing something you’re good at?’”
You may also want to watch:
Charlie and his family regularly take part in a variety of water sports at the Fenland Waterski Club in King’s Lynn, and that is where Charlie will take part in his charity challenge on Saturday July 23 – weather permitting.
“We need there to not be any wind,” Rachel said. “We have to be careful with him because of his age.
- 1 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 2 G's to help save Christmas for poultry industry
- 3 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 4 Motion calls for community housing review in four villages
- 5 Triple judo Olympic champion to give masterclass for Ely Dojo
- 6 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 7 New Ely cinema, royal visit, Welney gets a hall and Thomas a new car
- 8 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
- 9 New-look Crusaders show fighting spirit to earn comeback triumph
- 10 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
“We’ll also have to tell him to be careful, because he usually does a lot of flips and tricks out on the water!”
Charlie, who goes to St Andrew’s School, is hoping to raise money for Oxfam, and has set an initial target of £200.
To donate, visit https://www.justgiving.com/Charlie-saberton?utm_source=Sharethis&utm_medium=fundraisingpage&utm_content=Charlie-saberton&utm_campaign=pfp-email.