Couple raise money at their Ruby celebration
A SUTTON couple celebrated their Ruby wedding anniversary last month with a party to raise money for Milton Hospice. Tony and Jean Harnwell, of High Street, Sutton, had 85 guests at their anniversary celebration at The Glebe Community Centre, and asked th
A SUTTON couple celebrated their Ruby wedding anniversary last month with a party to raise money for Milton Hospice.
Tony and Jean Harnwell, of High Street, Sutton, had 85 guests at their anniversary celebration at The Glebe Community Centre, and asked them all to make a donation to the hospice instead of bringing presents.
Mrs Harnwell, who is chairman of Sutton Parish Council, said: "We asked for donations because when you've been married for 40 years, you have got everything."
She said the event was a great success, with more than £500 raised for the cause.
You may also want to watch:
"We are very grateful to everybody who came - everybody was very supportive," she said, adding that she made the decision to ask for donations after she saw the campaign in the Ely Standard.
"I felt very angry that the Government have stopped funding for something which does such good work," she said.
- 1 'My UK dream became a reality': World first sake brewery launches in Ely
- 2 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 3 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 4 Man to appear in court after smashing police car window with sledgehammer
- 5 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 6 Man in court over special constable assault and theft of alcohol
- 7 High-flying 'humble' gymnast, 9, top of the tree on county debut
- 8 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 9 80 ‘pieces of graffiti’ removed by council in just six months
- 10 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
# The Glebe Community Centre has its official opening on Saturday (17).