Couple raise money at their Ruby celebration
A SUTTON couple celebrated their Ruby wedding anniversary last month with a party to raise money for Milton Hospice. Tony and Jean Harnwell, of High Street, Sutton, had 85 guests at their anniversary celebration at The Glebe Community Centre, and asked th
A SUTTON couple celebrated their Ruby wedding anniversary last month with a party to raise money for Milton Hospice.
Tony and Jean Harnwell, of High Street, Sutton, had 85 guests at their anniversary celebration at The Glebe Community Centre, and asked them all to make a donation to the hospice instead of bringing presents.
Mrs Harnwell, who is chairman of Sutton Parish Council, said: "We asked for donations because when you've been married for 40 years, you have got everything."
She said the event was a great success, with more than £500 raised for the cause.
"We are very grateful to everybody who came - everybody was very supportive," she said, adding that she made the decision to ask for donations after she saw the campaign in the Ely Standard.
"I felt very angry that the Government have stopped funding for something which does such good work," she said.
- 1 EastEnders star Adam Woodyatt ‘to work at restaurant in Cambridgeshire’
- 2 Inferno BBQ to be occupied by sister company Forbidden Burger Co
- 3 'Gas engineer' reportedly stole two phones and a purse in Haddenham
- 4 See inside this £1.7m country house with its own lake near Ely
- 5 Cambridge: Police officer had surgery after sex offender drove car at them
- 6 Middlesbrough couple found in Cambs with drugs worth around £37,000
- 7 Village café battles Covid-19 delays to raise over £1,700
- 8 Superintendent dons rainbow helmet against hate crime on #IDAHOBIT
- 9 Princess Anne unveils new 'national treasure' Jubilee table in Ely
- 10 Weekend closure for A142 for bridge works between Ely and Chatteris
# The Glebe Community Centre has its official opening on Saturday (17).