Countryfile team comes to town
LOCAL author Rex Sly spent the day guiding Countryfile s Ben Fogle round Ely before Christmas. Mr Sly, author of Fenland Families, let the Countryfile presenter in on secrets from Ely s past which took in Burrows Bookshop, Bonnetts the bakers and Gibbs sh
LOCAL author Rex Sly spent the day guiding Countryfile's Ben Fogle round Ely before Christmas.
Mr Sly, author of Fenland Families, let the Countryfile presenter in on secrets from Ely's past which took in Burrows Bookshop, Bonnetts the bakers and Gibbs shoe shop.
The presenting team, which included veteran Newsround presenter John Craven stayed at the Lamb Hotel and were based in Welney for the majority of the programme. They then went on to do a piece at Elgood's brewery in Wisbech.
"He is a great character, Mr Sly said of Ben Fogle. "Absolutely charming to work with. It is difficult when a book took you five or six years to write and then someone wants it in a five minute slot for TV but he did seem genuinely interested."
You may also want to watch:
The Countryfile programme was shown before Christmas.
- 1 Our archives reveal the 'crackpot' idea to re-open disused rail lines
- 2 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 3 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 4 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 5 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 6 Fundraiser for mum with terminal cancer to 'have a good Christmas with her family'
- 7 Drunk driver failed to spot police car parked next to her
- 8 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 9 Have your say on plans to improve city rail station
- 10 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'