Counting cost of recycling success story
EAST Cambridgeshire residents have been so efficient with their recycling they have bagged a costly problem for the council. It supplied up to 10 sacks for free to each household for recycling organic waste, but at 12p per sack, the total bill adds up to
EAST Cambridgeshire residents have been so efficient with their recycling they have bagged a costly problem for the council.
It supplied up to 10 sacks for free to each household for recycling organic waste, but at 12p per sack, the total bill adds up to more than £130,000 per year.
Now, faced with making budget savings to meet Government spending targets, East Cambridgeshire District Council is discussing reducing the number of sacks to four from April 1.
"The cost of providing up to 10 organic sacks is huge to our relatively small budget but this is not the council going soft on recycling," said Cllr John Seaman, chairman of the council's environment and transport committee.
You may also want to watch:
"We want more people to consider the advantages of composting their organic waste as it is environmentally friendly and creates home-made compost to benefit their garden.
"This would mean money could be redirected and spent on other vital services throughout East Cambridgeshire."
- 1 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 2 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 3 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 4 Mosque trust named RIBA client of the year 2021
- 5 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 6 Police investigation after village pavilion covered in graffiti
- 7 8 of the best shows coming to Cambridgeshire in November
- 8 Meet the star cast of Christmas pantomime Sleeping Beauty
- 9 Lisa Leader makes it to Germany for life prolonging treatment
- 10 Fireworks join Christmas lights on the Covid cancelled list for Ely
INFO: To obtain more information about recycling or waste management, telephone 01353 665555.