Councillors optimistic about brand new bus service - and you could help name it!
- Credit: Archant
A new bus service linking Haddenham and Wilburton with Ely is set to be launched in November – and Ely Standard readers will have the chance to name it.
County councillors Anna Bailey and Bill Hunt are awaiting approval from the Traffic Commissioner for the new service, which, if given the go-ahead, will replace the current 106 bus service – but with a series of improvements.
The new service will also serve Witcham and Stretham and the timetable has been adjusted to suit people travelling into Ely to work – as well as those hoping to catch a bus into Cambridge.
As ever, the service will also help get people into the city on market days and could also stop at Ely railway station.
Councillor Bill Hunt said: “The message is simple, use it or lose it. We have shown that a service that is good value for money and efficient can be created, but people need to support it otherwise it simply won’t continue.”
You may also want to watch:
Support from Cambridgeshire County Council for the proposed new service is for an initial period of three years – after which it will be reviewed.
The service has yet to be named, though, and our readers are being given the chance to put forward a snappy new moniker. The only caveat is that is must be no longer than three letters.
- 1 Motion calls for community housing review in four villages
- 2 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 3 WATCH: The Fens celebrates its own 'Ark of Triumph'
- 4 Man found dead in March
- 5 HMO or flats divide councils but what happens to rest of hotel?
- 6 MP oversees climate change mock debate at Ely College
- 7 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 8 Pubs team up to raise £3,500 for British Heart Foundation
- 9 Jail for 'despicable' burglary on 93-year-old man with dementia
- 10 Church to hold churchyards training day
All entries will be put forward for judging, with the deadline set at 9am on Tuesday, October 14. The winning name will be announced on October 16.
If approved, the service could be in operation from Monday, November 3.
To submit your entry, e-mail Daniel.email@example.com or write to Ely Standard, Alexander House, Fore Hill, Ely, CB7 4AF.