Councillors optimistic about brand new bus service - and you could help name it!
- Credit: Archant
A new bus service linking Haddenham and Wilburton with Ely is set to be launched in November – and Ely Standard readers will have the chance to name it.
County councillors Anna Bailey and Bill Hunt are awaiting approval from the Traffic Commissioner for the new service, which, if given the go-ahead, will replace the current 106 bus service – but with a series of improvements.
The new service will also serve Witcham and Stretham and the timetable has been adjusted to suit people travelling into Ely to work – as well as those hoping to catch a bus into Cambridge.
As ever, the service will also help get people into the city on market days and could also stop at Ely railway station.
Councillor Bill Hunt said: “The message is simple, use it or lose it. We have shown that a service that is good value for money and efficient can be created, but people need to support it otherwise it simply won’t continue.”
Support from Cambridgeshire County Council for the proposed new service is for an initial period of three years – after which it will be reviewed.
The service has yet to be named, though, and our readers are being given the chance to put forward a snappy new moniker. The only caveat is that is must be no longer than three letters.
- 1 EastEnders star Adam Woodyatt ‘to work at restaurant in Cambridgeshire’
- 2 'Gas engineer' reportedly stole two phones and a purse in Haddenham
- 3 See inside this £1.7m country house with its own lake near Ely
- 4 Superintendent dons rainbow helmet against hate crime on #IDAHOBIT
- 5 Village café battles Covid-19 delays to raise over £1,700
- 6 Village toasts Queen's Platinum Jubilee with a memorable touch
- 7 Weekend closure for A142 for bridge works between Ely and Chatteris
- 8 Princess Anne unveils new 'national treasure' Jubilee table in Ely
- 9 Inside the £165,000 luxury river boat for sale in the Fens
- 10 Corporal lines up world record 135km paddleboard trek for 'gleaming' Bobby
All entries will be put forward for judging, with the deadline set at 9am on Tuesday, October 14. The winning name will be announced on October 16.
If approved, the service could be in operation from Monday, November 3.
To submit your entry, e-mail Daniel.email@example.com or write to Ely Standard, Alexander House, Fore Hill, Ely, CB7 4AF.