Council to launch new ‘shopping brand’ to boost trade in Ely
- Credit: Archant
East Cambridgeshire District Council is to launch a new shopping brand in a bid to entice people into the city centre.
The council says the city’s shopping and restaurant offering has “vastly improved” over the last five years and the city needs to be “re-discovered” by visitors.
Those living within 20 minutes of the city are to be targeted with the new brand, which is also set to include a new magazine.
Tracey Harding, the council’s tourism and town centre chief, said: “We are launching a new shopping brand for Ely aimed at encouraging people in a 20 minute travel time to visit Ely.
“We believe that Ely’s shopping and eating offer has vastly improved in the last five years and along with the added bonus of free parking and great visitor attractions, we believe Ely needs to be re-discovered.
You may also want to watch:
“We have been running a series of advertisements including a promotional campaign on Star Radio and the Cambridge Park and Ride buses, to encourage people to shop in Ely this Christmas.
“We will be following this up with further advertisements and promotions including a new lifestyle magazine in the spring.”
- 1 Binmen revolt over alleged bullying, poor pay, low morale and staffing crisis
- 2 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 3 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 4 Ely Cathedral hosts legendary jockey Frankie Dettori's only book signing
- 5 Retired murder detective, Russell, releases first book in new crime series
- 6 £330,000 fraudster burning evidence as police raid his home
- 7 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 8 Could we face coronavirus restrictions over Christmas?
- 9 Three charged after £2m Hotpoint arson attack
- 10 Covid-19 vaccine myths ‘biggest challenge’ in progress
Mrs Harding said the council was working with traders in the city on the new venture which, it was hoped, would increase footfall and spending.
WHAT DO YOU THINK? What can be done to boost trade in Ely? Write to Ely Standard, Alexander House, Fore Hill, Ely, CB7 4AF or e-mail Daniel.firstname.lastname@example.org