Council to drop its pest control service in East Cambridgeshire
- Credit: Archant
EAST Cambridgeshire District Council is to stop being the local rat catcher.
It’s decided to abandon it pest control service for residents “due to changes beyond our control”.
All is not lost completely for the council promised that it will look at introducing a “competitively” priced service at some future date.
For now the council says it is no longer in a position to offer a pest control service which cost them £24,000 last year and £19,000 the year before.
A spokesman said: “The existing service provided by our partnering arrangement with South Cambridgeshire District Council cannot continue due to changes within their organisation beyond our control.
You may also want to watch:
“Officers are still available to provide advice about a wide range of pests and how to control them, and they can be contacted during normal office hours on 01353 665555.”
The council will maintain a service for the treatment of wasp nests but only until the end of August.
- 1 Dr Nik 'over the moon' after pulling off shock Labour victory
- 2 Lib Dems score notable successes in East Cambridgeshire
- 3 Dr Nik Johnson elected Mayor of Cambridgeshire and Peterborough.
- 4 Littleport tops poll for the lowest turnout in council elections
- 5 Drink driver TWICE rammed off-duty officers' car
- 6 Death crash driver who fled is jailed
- 7 Voters 'given a clear indication that they wish for us to try and run the council'
- 8 Stagecoach suspends Milton park and ride
- 9 Farm shop receives 'overwhelming' response ahead of opening
- 10 30 East Cambs candidates compete for 8 Cambridgshire County council seats
The spokesman said: “If you have a problem with rats, mice, fleas, bedbugs, cockroaches or any other type of pest then you are advised to arrange for a private company to undertake treatment for you.”
The council added that if residents came across a pest they were unable to identify officers would help identify it and offer advice over the phone on how to deal with it, though nobody would able to attend.