Council seeking sponsors for new Soham primary
SPONSORS are being sought to help Cambridgeshire County Council set up and run a new primary school in Soham.
The new school – which could either be an academy or a free school – will be built in The Shade. It will be funded by the county council and will cater for boys and girls living in the north of the town between the ages of 4 and 11.
The school will be built in two phases.
The first phase will open in September 2013 for 30 reception children. The school will increase in size through the addition of a new reception class annually until the school is providing for all seven year groups, a total of 210 places.
The second building phase is dependent upon housing development, but is not expected to be required until after 2016. The school will include purpose built early years accommodation. The sponsor will be required to grant an early years provider with access to these facilities.
You may also want to watch:
The proposed site for the new school is owned by the County Farms Estate, on land already designated for education use within the East Cambridgeshire District Council’s Soham Masterplan.
In order to meet the opening date of September 2013, the school design and build process is already underway. Sponsors will not, therefore, have the opportunity for detailed involvement in the design of the school building.
- 1 Max and Chloe become pioneers of community housing success in Cambs village
- 2 Emergency services – including two air ambulances – rush to A10 crash
- 3 Covid-19 numbers in Fenland higher than rest of county
- 4 Company ‘paralysed by Brexit’ forced to open warehouse in Holland
- 5 Biggest village in Cambridgeshire to get even bigger
- 6 Chief executive takes 'personal oversight' of inquiry into deputy leader's farm tenancy
- 7 Burglar who was spared by judge stole from woman three days later
- 8 Pedestrian dies crossing busy Cambridgeshire road
- 9 New youth centre could be built in Littleport
- 10 Former Top Gear star Rory Reid spotted filming with Lamborghini
A planning application was submitted in May, for both phases of the school building, and the first phase will be completed in time for the academic year starting next year. The planning application is expected to be determined in August. Full details of the proposals can be found on the county council’s website at: