Council seeking sponsors for new Soham primary
SPONSORS are being sought to help Cambridgeshire County Council set up and run a new primary school in Soham.
The new school – which could either be an academy or a free school – will be built in The Shade. It will be funded by the county council and will cater for boys and girls living in the north of the town between the ages of 4 and 11.
The school will be built in two phases.
The first phase will open in September 2013 for 30 reception children. The school will increase in size through the addition of a new reception class annually until the school is providing for all seven year groups, a total of 210 places.
The second building phase is dependent upon housing development, but is not expected to be required until after 2016. The school will include purpose built early years accommodation. The sponsor will be required to grant an early years provider with access to these facilities.
The proposed site for the new school is owned by the County Farms Estate, on land already designated for education use within the East Cambridgeshire District Council’s Soham Masterplan.
In order to meet the opening date of September 2013, the school design and build process is already underway. Sponsors will not, therefore, have the opportunity for detailed involvement in the design of the school building.
- 1 21st century agreement on future of 17th century pub
- 2 ‘It’s sadly coming to a natural end’ - restaurant to close its doors by August
- 3 Littleport 'hit and run' on Victoria Street
- 4 Village barn struck by arsonists in 4am blaze
- 5 Pedestrian struck on Ely Road in Littleport
- 6 Florist 'busier than ever' hoping to build from lockdown success
- 7 Arsonist firebombed GP surgery after doctors refused to give him heroin
- 8 Former Baptist chapel to be turned into four-bedroom house
- 9 Council bans use of agricultural land to extend garden
- 10 Councillor hits out at 'huge intransigence' over splash pad project
A planning application was submitted in May, for both phases of the school building, and the first phase will be completed in time for the academic year starting next year. The planning application is expected to be determined in August. Full details of the proposals can be found on the county council’s website at: