Council meeting cancelled because there is “nothing to talk about” - Lib Dems claim
- Credit: Archant
Liberal Democrat councillors claim that their Conservative colleagues decided to cancel a meeting of full council because they had “nothing to talk about”.
The last meeting of East Cambridgeshire District Council’s full council took place in October, with another meeting scheduled for November 27.
But Lib Dem leader, Councillor Gareth Wilson says that has been scrapped by the council chairman, Cllr Tony Cornell, allegedly for lack of anything to decide.
Another meeting of the full council will not take place again until January 8 – almost three months after it last met.
Cllr Wilson said: “Full council is the opportunity for councillors to hold the council leadership to account, and for members of the public to question their representatives.
You may also want to watch:
“Dial-a-ride is collapsing, and over half a million pounds has been returned to Sainsbury’s without discussion by councillors. Littleport Leisure Centre is said to be at risk, while the costs of the council’s new proposed A10 leisure centre seem considerably higher than at first advised.
“The provision of affordable housing in the new north Ely development will be as little as half that required by the council’s own local plan.
- 1 Village pub limits reopening to ‘bread and butter customers’ only
- 2 Park and ride from Milton to return next month
- 3 Action this day as new alliance slashes £72k from councillors' allowance budget
- 4 Witchford hold their heads high despite narrow Cambs League cup exit
- 5 Hifields to bring world-class artists and 6,000 festival-goers to Cambridgeshire countryside
- 6 Shoppers rush to help man injured after falling in High Street
- 7 Family pay tribute to ‘talented’ father-of-three veteran killed in crash
- 8 Letter: Amazing reunion for couple thanks to paramedics
- 9 Man charged with armed robbery in Fenland
- 10 Family traumatised as their beloved Waffle shot in the face
“And now Conservative councillors have decided to waste £17,000 reminding people that there is free car parking in Ely.
“Cancelling the meeting of the full council means that senior Conservative councillors will not have to embarrass themselves answering questions about their actions.
“It’s yet another example of East Cambs District Council behaving as if it’s accountable to nobody.”
Leader of the council, Councillor James Palmer said: “The council meeting was cancelled as no motions had been put forward by Councillors and there weren’t any recommendations for decision put forward by committees. Cllr Gareth Wilson was informed of this decision earlier this month and was also advised that the meeting could still go ahead if five members contacted the Chief Executive requesting the gathering still took place.
“Rather than getting involved in petty political point scoring, my focus is on delivering the services which our residents need and not wasting time and more importantly tax payers money on meetings where there is nothing to discuss. However if Cllr Wilson and four other councillors would like to request the meeting is reinstated to discuss motions they wish to put forward, I for one would be happy to stand and debate the decisions our council has made for the benefit of East Cambridgeshire.”