Could you be the next Alex Neil? Ely College announce unique link-up with Norwich City
- Credit: Archant
The football and coaching superstars of tomorrow could be moulded in Ely under a new brand new programme launched by Norwich City Football Club.
A select group of students at Ely College Sixth Form will be offered the chance to train with Norwich City coaches, represent the club in fixtures, take part in trips and learn about life in the sports business.
The partnership between the Championship high-flyers and Ely College was announced this week and will allow a yearly intake of 24 scholarship students the chance to earn a qualification in sport as well as giving them access to the inner workings of a top football club.
Students will also be given the chance to watch the team in action at Carrow Road.
Ben Gibbs, chair of governors at the college, said: “Norwich City’s development programme presents a fantastic opportunity for young people in the region to use their passion for football as the basis for a possible career in the game, or indeed in the wider sports industry.
You may also want to watch:
“The programme requires commitment as well as skill, but the rewards will be second to none. I am delighted that Ely College Sixth Form is hosting this, and look forward to watching it develop in years to come.”
A series of trial dates have been announced for anyone looking to earn a place on the course, aimed at students aged 16-18.
- 1 Dr Nik 'over the moon' after pulling off shock Labour victory
- 2 Lib Dems score notable successes in East Cambridgeshire
- 3 Stagecoach suspends Milton park and ride
- 4 Littleport tops poll for the lowest turnout in council elections
- 5 Dr Nik Johnson elected Mayor of Cambridgeshire and Peterborough.
- 6 Villagers 'clap for Dr Nik' to celebrate mayoralty victory
- 7 Expect 'honesty and integrity' says new police and crime commissioner
- 8 Drink driver TWICE rammed off-duty officers' car
- 9 Ely man caught after nine months on the run from Suffolk prison
- 10 Farm shop receives 'overwhelming' response ahead of opening
The trials are taking place at Ely College, in Downham Road, on Saturdays February 14, April 18 and June 6, from 1-4pm.
Alex Kaufman, development officer with Norwich City, said: “The programme has been put together with progression in mind, extending beyond football and into potential career pathways.
“We want our scholars to develop with us as people, not just players.”
To register your initial interest in a scholarship and book on the trial, or have questions regarding any element of the programme, contact Mr Kaufman, on 07500229619 or e-mail, email@example.com