Could you be the next Alex Neil? Ely College announce unique link-up with Norwich City
- Credit: Archant
The football and coaching superstars of tomorrow could be moulded in Ely under a new brand new programme launched by Norwich City Football Club.
A select group of students at Ely College Sixth Form will be offered the chance to train with Norwich City coaches, represent the club in fixtures, take part in trips and learn about life in the sports business.
The partnership between the Championship high-flyers and Ely College was announced this week and will allow a yearly intake of 24 scholarship students the chance to earn a qualification in sport as well as giving them access to the inner workings of a top football club.
Students will also be given the chance to watch the team in action at Carrow Road.
Ben Gibbs, chair of governors at the college, said: “Norwich City’s development programme presents a fantastic opportunity for young people in the region to use their passion for football as the basis for a possible career in the game, or indeed in the wider sports industry.
You may also want to watch:
“The programme requires commitment as well as skill, but the rewards will be second to none. I am delighted that Ely College Sixth Form is hosting this, and look forward to watching it develop in years to come.”
A series of trial dates have been announced for anyone looking to earn a place on the course, aimed at students aged 16-18.
- 1 NHS worker breaks ribs, ankle and fractures leg in four car pile-up
- 2 Potamogeton Trichoides has the last word on £6.5m Mepal crematorium
- 3 Theatre group stream panto online for those who missed it due to lockdown
- 4 Gin could be just the tonic needed for dilapidated farm buildings
- 5 Spat at police officer tests positive for Covid-19
- 6 Vaccine roll-out begins, 12 hours a day, seven days a week
- 7 Company ‘paralysed by Brexit’ forced to open warehouse in Holland
- 8 Artist impressions of how Mepal will be transformed into a £6.5m crematorium
- 9 Viewers react to 'brilliant' 24 Hours in Police Custody: Black Widow
- 10 Man guilty of murdering partner's baby son
The trials are taking place at Ely College, in Downham Road, on Saturdays February 14, April 18 and June 6, from 1-4pm.
Alex Kaufman, development officer with Norwich City, said: “The programme has been put together with progression in mind, extending beyond football and into potential career pathways.
“We want our scholars to develop with us as people, not just players.”
To register your initial interest in a scholarship and book on the trial, or have questions regarding any element of the programme, contact Mr Kaufman, on 07500229619 or e-mail, firstname.lastname@example.org