Balaclava man jumps from car and hurls bricks at police who stopped him in the early hours in Cambridgeshire village
- Credit: Archant
A man wearing a balaclava leapt out of a car in the early hours and threw bricks at a police car.
The police car windscreen was smashed but the officers escaped injury. Both were badly shaken.
Details of the incident in Cottenham in the early hours of Good Friday were confirmed today (Tuesday) in an official statement.
A police spokesman said: “Two of our officers were on patrol in Cottenham in the early hours of Friday morning when they spotted two vehicles, an Audi and a silver pick up, acting suspiciously.
“They followed the vehicles and a man, wearing a balaclava, got out of the passenger side of the Audi and threw two bricks at the police car.”
You may also want to watch:
The spokesman added: “The bricks hit the windscreen causing it to smash. Thankfully the officers were not injured.
“The vehicles made off towards Wilburton.”
- 1 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 2 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 3 Sparkling sake brewery launches in Ely
- 4 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 5 Police buy clothes for Iranian children rescued from lorry
- 6 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse
- 7 Woman delighted to finally be a mum after infertility heartache
- 8 Have your say on plans to improve city rail station
- 9 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 10 Teen rape case prompts city market safety review
Anyone with information is asked to call police on 101 quoting reference 35/24520/20
Villagers say the incident happened at around 1.20am when the officers tried to stop the suspicious vehicles at the Twenty Pence end of the High Street.
One villager claimed the men had baseball bats as well as bricks, but this was not confirmed by police.
“The two young officers were very shaken but very stoic about it all,” said one resident.
“Several police vehicles then arrived and the damaged vehicle, with its windscreen smashed, was recovered. This was a deliberate, violent attack against two young officers of the law. Outrageous. I wish both a speedy recovery.”