Cooking up a storm: Former King’s Ely pupil Phil picks up culinary award
- Credit: Archant
A former King’s Ely student who forged a successful career as a chef has had his culinary skills recognised by winning a prestigious award.
Phil Hase, head chef at Hotel du Vin in Henley-on-Thames, Oxfordshire, was crowned Chef of the Year at the Hotel du Vin and Malmaison Hotel group’s Best of the Best Awards 2017.
The awards recognise the top talent within the group’s estate of 32 hotels.
Phil, who was a pupil at King’s Ely from 2002 to 2005, started at Hotel du Vin as Chef de Partie at their Cambridge hotel before moving on to the Edinburgh hotel then Henley, as a senior Sous Chef in 2015.
He was promoted to head chef at the Newcastle hotel for a year before returning to Henley-on-Thames last summer as head chef.
You may also want to watch:
He said: “I am honoured to win this award. I have worked for Hotel du Vin for just over four years and it is a great accomplishment to be awarded Chef of the Year.”
- 1 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 2 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 3 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 4 High-flying 'humble' gymnast, 9, top of the tree on county debut
- 5 80 ‘pieces of graffiti’ removed by council in just six months
- 6 New Ely cinema, royal visit, Welney gets a hall and Thomas a new car
- 7 G's to help save Christmas for poultry industry
- 8 Man to appear in court after smashing police car window with sledgehammer
- 9 Lets get Cambridgeshire back on the buses says mayor
- 10 Man in court over special constable assault and theft of alcohol