Cooking left unattended on hob cause house fire in Soham - luckily neighbours alerted by smoke detectors and dial 999

PUBLISHED: 13:16 06 October 2015 | UPDATED: 13:16 06 October 2015

A children's play park was hit by an arson attack on Saturday morning.

A children's play park was hit by an arson attack on Saturday morning.


Crews from Ely and Newmarket were called yesterday to a house fire in Heron Croft, Soham.

When firefighters arrived they found an alarm sounding and a smoke-logged property. The fire crews forced entry and, wearing breathing apparatus, used a hose reel to extinguish a fire in a kitchen. Positive pressure ventilation fans were used to clear smoke from the property.

No one was in the property at the time but cooking had been left unattended.

Crews returned to their station by 2.55pm.

Watch Commander Mark Coupar said: “This property had two working smoke alarms that sounded and alerted the neighbours to the fire situation, enabling them to call 999. So please, make sure you have a smoke alarm on each floor of your property and that it is working.

“This fire started when cooking on the hob was left unattended. Never leave cooking unattended and try to not get distracted while cooking.”

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ely Standard. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Ely Standard