Cooking left unattended on hob cause house fire in Soham - luckily neighbours alerted by smoke detectors and dial 999
- Credit: Archant
Crews from Ely and Newmarket were called yesterday to a house fire in Heron Croft, Soham.
When firefighters arrived they found an alarm sounding and a smoke-logged property. The fire crews forced entry and, wearing breathing apparatus, used a hose reel to extinguish a fire in a kitchen. Positive pressure ventilation fans were used to clear smoke from the property.
No one was in the property at the time but cooking had been left unattended.
Crews returned to their station by 2.55pm.
Watch Commander Mark Coupar said: “This property had two working smoke alarms that sounded and alerted the neighbours to the fire situation, enabling them to call 999. So please, make sure you have a smoke alarm on each floor of your property and that it is working.
You may also want to watch:
“This fire started when cooking on the hob was left unattended. Never leave cooking unattended and try to not get distracted while cooking.”
- 1 Stagecoach suspends Milton park and ride
- 2 30 East Cambs candidates compete for 8 Cambridgshire County council seats
- 3 Man, 27, punched schoolchildren and women in unprovoked attack
- 4 Ely named the UK’s most baby-friendly location
- 5 Farm shop receives 'overwhelming' response ahead of opening
- 6 Nostalgic throwback to places and faces of Ely's past
- 7 Second World War and SAS hero remembered with new street signs
- 8 Ely man caught after nine months on the run from Suffolk prison
- 9 Slimmer launches weight loss group after losing three stone
- 10 National Trust reveal theft of 'historic items' and damage to Wimpole Hall