Controversial cobbled speed bumps in Ely to be assessed by highways officials
- Credit: Archant
THE suitability of a set of cobbled speed bumps in Ely is to be reviewed by Cambridgeshire County Council in response to complaints for road users and cyclist.
The cobbled bumps, in Barton Road and The Gallery, have attracted criticism from users, who say they are causing damage to vehicles and bikes and can proved dangerous when wet.
Posting on the ShapeYourPlace website, user John J said: “Some of the gaps between the cobbles are large and deep. They do not make much difference to motor traffic with good suspension. They are particularly aggressive for bicycles. They are a safety hazard and cause damage.”
Another user, Andrew, posted: “The setts are not just uncomfortable but are causing damage - I have broken a tyre and wheel on them. They are also dangerous, especially in the wet, as they have a kerb at each edge which throws bikes off if approaching at an angle, especially in the rain.”
Initially, the county council insisted that it “simply did not possess” the funds to change the cobbled bumps and urged people to contact the City of Ely Council to seek alternative sources of funding.
A month later, however, and the council has changed its tack, agreeing to visit the site and meet with road users to discuss the problems. New county councillor for Ely, Mike Rouse, has also agreed to join in the push for change.
He said: “It can be done and it’s not much to ask for and can be achieved without prejudicing pedestrian safety.”
- 1 East Cambs Council bins green waste collections for seven weeks
- 2 Stolen caravans discovered on village site to relief of owners
- 3 Former army major sentenced after pillion rider dies in motorcycle crash
- 4 A10 dualling facing new challenges
- 5 OPINION: Soham Station fiasco about to come to a conclusion, or is it?
- 6 Children among suspected hare coursers stopped in the Fens
- 7 Pedestrian killed crossing road
- 8 Branch president left pleasantly surprised thanks to freemasons
- 9 Fens business park goes to auction - for up to £700,000
- 10 1,800 enjoy free Christmas day out at Ely’s ‘hidden gem’
WHAT DO YOU THINK: Have you had problems with the cobbled bumps? Is it money well spent? Contact the editor at email@example.com