Conservatives Sweep The Board In the Euros
THE Conservative party completed its election clean-sweep at the weekend by taking three seats at the European elections. Having made number of high-profile gains in the county council elections at the end of last week, the party were expectant of another
THE Conservative party completed its election clean-sweep at the weekend by taking three seats at the European elections.
Having made number of high-profile gains in the county council elections at the end of last week, the party were expectant of another bumper performance at the euro polls and achieved just that as it collected a staggering half a million votes, amounting to 30 per cent of the ballot overall.
Using the proportional representation voting system, the Conservatives were allocated three seats in the EU parliament with candidates Geoffrey Van Orden, Vicky Ford and Robert Sturdy nominated to fill the posts.
Euro-sceptics UKIP, meanwhile were celebrating after it held on to its two seats in the region, keeping it ahead of both the Liberal Democrats and Labour. David Campbell-Bannerman and John Agnew were elected to fill the two allocated seats.
You may also want to watch:
The bad news continued for the Labour party meanwhile as it came in a dismal fourth place behind UKIP and the Liberal Democrats, collecting just one seat with 10.5 per cent of the vote.
- 1 Village pub limits reopening to ‘bread and butter customers’ only
- 2 Park and ride from Milton to return next month
- 3 Action this day as new alliance slashes £72k from councillors' allowance budget
- 4 Witchford hold their heads high despite narrow Cambs League cup exit
- 5 Hifields to bring world-class artists and 6,000 festival-goers to Cambridgeshire countryside
- 6 Shoppers rush to help man injured after falling in High Street
- 7 Family pay tribute to ‘talented’ father-of-three veteran killed in crash
- 8 Letter: Amazing reunion for couple thanks to paramedics
- 9 Man charged with armed robbery in Fenland
- 10 Family traumatised as their beloved Waffle shot in the face