Company come back with second design option for re-developing major retail complex in the centre of Ely
- Credit: Archant
A new proposal for the redevelopment of the 1960’s retail building in Ely’s Market Place is to be introduced to the public later this month.
The new and amended plans will give the public the opportunity to comment and offer opinions, advice, support or objection to the proposed scheme.
The owners of the 1960’s building are local company Rannerlow Ltd who say “remain excited by the opportunity of changing the existing building into something the City can be proud of”.
Managing director James Bateson said: “The proposed plan is to envelope the building in a new façade and there will be 12 new apartments which will integrate and complement the surrounding buildings.”
Mr Batson said: “It was clear all those who attended the earlier consultation in 2015 were united in their dislike of the current 1960’s building, however the public had a number of major concerns about the former proposed design.
“The former design was seen as too tall, too bulky, not within keeping of Ely’s Market Place and spoiling views of the Cathedral from the Market Place.”
He added: “The new proposed plans are designed by technical illustrator Eric Gee who has attempted to address those concerns by reducing the buildings height by a story, reducing the bulk of the building by 20 per cent, building only upon the existing footprint of the building, and implementing a subtle and more contemporary approach to the overall look and feel to the façade”.
- 1 Pedestrian struck on Ely Road in Littleport
- 2 21st century agreement on future of 17th century pub
- 3 ‘It’s sadly coming to a natural end’ - restaurant to close its doors by August
- 4 Littleport 'hit and run' on Victoria Street
- 5 Council bans use of agricultural land to extend garden
- 6 Former Baptist chapel to be turned into four-bedroom house
- 7 Councillor hits out at 'huge intransigence' over splash pad project
- 8 Florist 'busier than ever' hoping to build from lockdown success
- 9 Village barn struck by arsonists in 4am blaze
- 10 Shoplifter, 33, who assaulted woman is on the run
Rannerlow are to show off the plans at public exhibitions on February 25 and 27 from 12.30 -2.30 at the Cathedral Centre, Palace Green, Ely, Cambs, CB7 4EW