Company come back with second design option for re-developing major retail complex in the centre of Ely
- Credit: Archant
A new proposal for the redevelopment of the 1960’s retail building in Ely’s Market Place is to be introduced to the public later this month.
The new and amended plans will give the public the opportunity to comment and offer opinions, advice, support or objection to the proposed scheme.
The owners of the 1960’s building are local company Rannerlow Ltd who say “remain excited by the opportunity of changing the existing building into something the City can be proud of”.
Managing director James Bateson said: “The proposed plan is to envelope the building in a new façade and there will be 12 new apartments which will integrate and complement the surrounding buildings.”
Mr Batson said: “It was clear all those who attended the earlier consultation in 2015 were united in their dislike of the current 1960’s building, however the public had a number of major concerns about the former proposed design.
You may also want to watch:
“The former design was seen as too tall, too bulky, not within keeping of Ely’s Market Place and spoiling views of the Cathedral from the Market Place.”
He added: “The new proposed plans are designed by technical illustrator Eric Gee who has attempted to address those concerns by reducing the buildings height by a story, reducing the bulk of the building by 20 per cent, building only upon the existing footprint of the building, and implementing a subtle and more contemporary approach to the overall look and feel to the façade”.
- 1 Binmen revolt over alleged bullying, poor pay, low morale and staffing crisis
- 2 Plans revealed for new A10 pedestrian bridge
- 3 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 4 'I feel alive for the first time': Slimmer lost half his body weight in lockdown
- 5 Ely Cathedral hosts legendary jockey Frankie Dettori's only book signing
- 6 Man charged over death threats to deputy Labour leader Angela Rayner
- 7 Cambridgeshire hospitals busy and staff tired and abused
- 8 Memorial stone for Cambridge student laid hidden in undergrowth for 80 years
- 9 Matt’s 46-day charity cycle from Burwell to Istanbul raises over £2,000
- 10 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
Rannerlow are to show off the plans at public exhibitions on February 25 and 27 from 12.30 -2.30 at the Cathedral Centre, Palace Green, Ely, Cambs, CB7 4EW