Community plough on in honour of retiring farm manager
THE ploughing community from across the district staged a competition this weekend to honour a retiring member. Dozens of vintage machines took to the fields at Over Fen near Haddenham in honour of Michael Church, pictured left, who is retiring as farm ma
THE ploughing community from across the district staged a competition this weekend to honour a retiring member.
Dozens of vintage machines took to the fields at Over Fen near Haddenham in honour of Michael Church, pictured left, who is retiring as farm manager of AG Wright and sons, the venue for ploughing events since 1986.
"This event was to say thank you to Michael for all his help and support over the years," said Stuart Chapman, one of the organisers.
"Everybody was very happy the event took place."
The overall winner of the event was Rodney Derby, pictured, and a bench was presented to Mr Church on behalf of the ploughmen in the district.
"Thanks to all those that rallied round at short notice to make the event possible and apologies to those who couldn't be informed," Mr Chapman said.
- 1 Table made from 5,000-year-old oak tree to be unveiled at Ely Cathedral in honour of The Queen
- 2 Princess Anne unveils new 'national treasure' Jubilee table in Ely
- 3 Villagers can be proud says school head as Ofsted gives thumbs up
- 4 Met Office weather: Yellow storm and flood warning for East of England
- 5 See inside this Grade II listed former pub with self-contained annexe
- 6 Three brass instruments worth £20k stolen from church
- 7 Table made from 5,000-year-old oak tree arrives at Ely Cathedral
- 8 Hand clinic offering additional type of treatment for arthritis sufferers
- 9 'Energy and hope' on the agenda for new Ely mayor
- 10 Family pay tribute to brothers, 13 and 17, killed in horror BMW crash
INFO: A committee will be formed for future ploughing events. If you are interested, contact Stuart Chapman on 01353 741913.