Community bike shop launched
- Credit: Archant
A new community bike shop has been launched in Littleport.
Managed by Young People Littleport (YPL), the affordable bike shop has been set-up with funding of more than £2,000 from Sanctuary Housing.
The cash boost has also paid towards the cost of employing and training an employee to run the bicycle restoration business.
Barnaby Raguain, 17, is now in full time employment and works with volunteers to provide a repair service and refurbish bikes for the community to purchase or hire.
Cambridgeshire police helped to kick-start the venture by providing a number of recovered bikes and business training was delivered by Cambridge Regional College.
You may also want to watch:
Barnaby said: “Having this job has enabled me to realise my potential and do valuable work with other young people for the benefit of the community.”
Graham Nolan, Sanctuary Housing’s neighbourhood partnerships manager, added: “It’s great to know our funding has made a difference in enabling Barnaby to gain skills and employment in this exciting social enterprise.
- 1 Stagecoach suspends Milton park and ride
- 2 Farm shop receives 'overwhelming' response ahead of opening
- 3 Ely named the UK’s most baby-friendly location
- 4 30 East Cambs candidates compete for 8 Cambridgshire County council seats
- 5 Ely man caught after nine months on the run from Suffolk prison
- 6 Burglary tip-off unearths £1.38m cannabis 'factory'
- 7 Contractors 'did not follow the brief' when it came to drain maintenance
- 8 Cineworld Ely expected to reopen in May
- 9 Slimmer launches weight loss group after losing three stone
- 10 Lunging challenge in boyfriend's memory raises thousands for charity
“YPL provides a range of services that benefit the community and we are proud to be supporting this venture.”
A new bike can be purchased in instalments and part exchange is available, as well as a free collection and delivery service for Littleport residents.
Anyone interested in having a cycle serviced or repaired or who wants to purchase or hire a bike, can visit the shop Monday to Saturday between 9.30am and 4.30pm or contact Phil Malkin on 07947 823446.