Community bike shop launched
- Credit: Archant
A new community bike shop has been launched in Littleport.
Managed by Young People Littleport (YPL), the affordable bike shop has been set-up with funding of more than £2,000 from Sanctuary Housing.
The cash boost has also paid towards the cost of employing and training an employee to run the bicycle restoration business.
Barnaby Raguain, 17, is now in full time employment and works with volunteers to provide a repair service and refurbish bikes for the community to purchase or hire.
Cambridgeshire police helped to kick-start the venture by providing a number of recovered bikes and business training was delivered by Cambridge Regional College.
You may also want to watch:
Barnaby said: “Having this job has enabled me to realise my potential and do valuable work with other young people for the benefit of the community.”
Graham Nolan, Sanctuary Housing’s neighbourhood partnerships manager, added: “It’s great to know our funding has made a difference in enabling Barnaby to gain skills and employment in this exciting social enterprise.
- 1 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 2 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 3 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 4 Mosque trust named RIBA client of the year 2021
- 5 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 6 Meet the star cast of Christmas pantomime Sleeping Beauty
- 7 Police investigation after village pavilion covered in graffiti
- 8 Council expects to spend £2.4m less on older people due to 'Covid loss'
- 9 US jets to practice flypast over Suffolk this morning
- 10 Lisa Leader makes it to Germany for life prolonging treatment
“YPL provides a range of services that benefit the community and we are proud to be supporting this venture.”
A new bike can be purchased in instalments and part exchange is available, as well as a free collection and delivery service for Littleport residents.
Anyone interested in having a cycle serviced or repaired or who wants to purchase or hire a bike, can visit the shop Monday to Saturday between 9.30am and 4.30pm or contact Phil Malkin on 07947 823446.