Commonwealth Games star wows pupils at Littleport school
- Credit: Archant
Ellen Falkner, Commonwealth Games gold medal winner, returned to her roots this week and visited Littleport Community Primary School.
Ellen is the auntie of Littleport pupil Joe Myles, and the school contacted her to see if she would come in to show her medals and talk about her achievements.
Head teacher, John Cattermole said: “Ellen was a truly inspirational speaker who had the whole school in the palm of her hand during assembly.
“She shared photos and video clips from her career, let children wear her England shirts from three Commonwealth Games and showed everyone her medals.
“Best of all, she talked about the highs and lows of sport, of winning and losing with dignity and gave the powerful message that you can achieve great things if you work hard and don’t give up - a message we are always giving the children.
You may also want to watch:
Ellen is a top international bowler and made her debut on the world stage in 2002 at the Commonwealth Games in Manchester. She has since gone on to win countless national and international titles.
She was in action over the summer in Glasgow, where she picked up another gold medal, this time in the women’s triples event.
- 1 Malaysian-style Fens home leaves Grand Designs viewers in awe
- 2 Pictures show cars - including Tesco delivery vans - queued at fuel pumps
- 3 Crisis, what crisis? Panic buying at the pumps in Fenland
- 4 Rings End A141 closed after three vehicle collision
- 5 Amazing escape for driver in A11 crash
- 6 Former mayor begins court battle to retain pub
- 7 Motorcyclist dies in A141 crash
- 8 Fireworks join Christmas lights on the Covid cancelled list for Ely
- 9 Mayor's ‘hop-on hop-off' public travel revolution
- 10 Sex offender caught with 76 of most serious child abuse photos
Hannah Crack, PE teacher, added: “Ellen is an excellent role model for pupils - I went to Glasgow and only wish I had seen her compete as well as the rugby 7s.”