COLUMN: This week Luke Smith answers the ‘Getting to know you’ questions in the Ely Standard
- Credit: Archant
Who are you? I’m Luke Smith. I’m 22, and moved to Ely in 1996.
Who are you?
I’m Luke Smith. I’m 22, and moved to Ely in 1996.
What do you do?
I’m a web and graphic designer by profession and run a local web and graphic design company, Infiniti Graphics. I work with companies to create, develop and refresh their brand identities.
Why would people know you?
I do a lot of work with local businesses. I’ve also recently been involved in the set up and organising of Ely’s first ever Hero Awards, which has been a hugely positive, humbling and rewarding experience.
- 1 Person hit by train between Manea and Peterborough
- 2 First visit not 'a flying success' but pub deserves second chance
- 3 Sanctuary Housing criticised over empty homes in Ely
- 4 Lorna’s successful plea to remove £3 shower charge for disabled visitors to The Hive
- 5 MP officially begins new era for major UK supplier
- 6 'Cuckooing' drug dealer caught with cocaine to the value of £3,670
- 7 Hunt is on for arsonists after 5am car fire
- 8 Fire crews called to car fire on railway line
- 9 Child shot in face by BB gun bought at summer festival
- 10 Huntingdon and Peterborough hospitals bring back masks after rise in Covid numbers
On a scale of 1-10 (10 highest) what do you rate your sense of humour?
I’ll let you judge that from my next response!
Tell us a joke.
Comic Sans walks into a bar. The bartender says, “We don’t serve your type round here”.
Give us at least five pet hates.
Slow walkers; drivers who don’t indicate; difficulty finding shops that stock size 12 shoes; Comic Sans used seriously; unsolicited emails and phone calls.
Is it time for Britain to abolish the Royal Family?
No, they’re iconic and an asset to the country. They generate revenue through tourism, and it’s part of our British heritage.
Brexit – in or out?
In. I agree with the arguments for the benefits EU membership brings.
What is your favourite thing about East Cambridgeshire?
Transport connections, including road, rail and air, to the rest of the country.
Favourite sports team (any sport)?
It’s got to be England rugby!
Place you would never want to return to and why?
That’s a difficult one. There’s always a positive to take away from everywhere you go.
Which three people would you like to have dinner with?
Steve Jobs, John Lennon and Noel Gallagher.
Who was your childhood hero and why?
Definitely Noel Gallagher. His music has to be the most influential of my generation!
Your claim to fame.
A bit of a tenuous one, but my girlfriend’s, grandad’s cousin is Roger Law of Spitting Image fame.
Biggest regret in life or biggest achievement?
Regrets are only opportunities to learn from. My biggest achievement to date has to be achieving a grade of 99% (A*) in GCSE Art.
What character would dress as for a fancy dress party?
One of the Gallagher’s.