COLUMN: This week Damien Whales answers the ‘Getting to know’ questions
- Credit: Archant
Who are you?
What do you do?
I am a teacher, former assistant principal at Ely College, current assistant principal in Northamptonshire.
I am the chairman of The Malcolm Whales Foundation (based in Cambridgeshire) www.malcolmwhales.co.uk
You may also want to watch:
I am also the head coach of Huntingdon Stags 1st XV http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/huntingdonrugbyclub
Why would people know you?
- 1 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 2 Fundraiser for mum with terminal cancer to 'have a good Christmas with her family'
- 3 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 4 Our archives reveal the 'crackpot' idea to re-open disused rail lines
- 5 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 6 Of all the places in all the city to park an uninsured 4x4
- 7 22 arrests, drugs, cash and weapons seized in county lines crackdown
- 8 Heroin dealer kept machete at home
- 9 Sat nav 'takes one for the team' in bridge crash
- 10 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
As a teacher at Ely College. Through the charity and the Dorset Walk which we run every year.
On a scale of 1-10 (10 highest) what do you rate your sense of humour?
8 (providing sarcasm counts)
Tell us a joke.
A bear walks in to a bar.
He says could I have a pint of …………………….Lager.
The barman says, “why the big pause?”
The bear says, “I am a bear, they have always been this big”
Give us at least five pet hates.
Queuing/waiting; choosing birthday cards; losing; slow golfers; education policy change.
Is it time for Britain to abolish the Royal Family?
No – what is to be gained?
Fruit tinned or fresh?
What is your favourite thing about East Cambridgeshire?
The view of Ely Cathedral.
Which TV programme has you reaching for the off button?
The Apprentice/Come Dine With Me
If you won £5,000 what would you spend it on?
A holiday to Bora Bora
Favourite sports team (any sport)?
Huntingdon Stags/England Rugby team
Place you would never want to return to and why?
North Wales – no comment.
Which three people would you like to have dinner with?
Winston Churchill; Eric Cantona and Malcolm Whales.
Who would you cross the road to avoid?
Piers Morgan (or I would mount the curb)
Who was your childhood hero and why?
Mike Tyson – he was incredible in his prime!
Your claim to fame.
As a teenager I represented and captained my county, (Norfolk) at football, cricket and rugby.
Biggest regret in life or biggest achievement?
Biggest achievement – following the death of my dad. I created a charity in his memory.
The Malcolm Whales Foundation organises an annual charity in Dorset each July.
Over 8 years we have raised in excess of £100,000 for children’s cancer and Bowel cancer..