Colin and Olive Bowles, who met at Ely Fair in 1964, celebrate their golden wedding anniversary on Friday
- Credit: Archant
An Ely couple is celebrating ahead of their golden wedding anniversary this Friday, February 12.
Colin, who was born in Ely and Olive, born in Littleport, met at Ely Fair on May 24 1964.
The secret to a long marriage, they said, is “learning to give and take”.
“We don’t always agree with each other,” Colin added.
They have two children; Andy and Julie, three grandchildre; Daniel, Charlotte and Sophie, and three great grandchildren; Elliot, Blake and Zachary.
The couple who met in 1966 and married at Littleport St George’s Church are looking forward to holding a party to mark the occasion in the summer.
“I was the baby of the family,” said Olive, who was a book keeper and worked at Cheffin’s Estate Agency for 25 years before retiring. “So my father pushed the boat out a bit,” she added.
- 1 Back garden log cabin needs permission says council
- 2 Preschool 'special in people's hearts' to close after more than 30 years
- 3 Change of plan for A142 Mepal bridge works as July closures announced
- 4 This Grade II listed Georgian home in Ely could be yours for £575,000
- 5 Replacement home not good enough says council
- 6 Daughter pays tribute to model engineer who 'tried his hand at anything'
- 7 ‘It’s sadly coming to a natural end’ - restaurant to close its doors by August
- 8 BMX star, 11, hopes world debut can lead to Olympics dream
- 9 Large Hotel of the Year winner is proud of its history
- 10 21st century agreement on future of 17th century pub
Colin, meanwhile, has not worked since 1990 because of health issues, but used to work as a transport manager for a scaffolding company.
Together they enjoy fishing, walking and “Colin plays with his cameras,” said Olive.
Last year, the keen gardeners were also awarded Allotment of the Year.