Colin and Olive Bowles, who met at Ely Fair in 1964, celebrate their golden wedding anniversary on Friday
- Credit: Archant
An Ely couple is celebrating ahead of their golden wedding anniversary this Friday, February 12.
Colin, who was born in Ely and Olive, born in Littleport, met at Ely Fair on May 24 1964.
The secret to a long marriage, they said, is “learning to give and take”.
“We don’t always agree with each other,” Colin added.
They have two children; Andy and Julie, three grandchildre; Daniel, Charlotte and Sophie, and three great grandchildren; Elliot, Blake and Zachary.
You may also want to watch:
The couple who met in 1966 and married at Littleport St George’s Church are looking forward to holding a party to mark the occasion in the summer.
“I was the baby of the family,” said Olive, who was a book keeper and worked at Cheffin’s Estate Agency for 25 years before retiring. “So my father pushed the boat out a bit,” she added.
- 1 Motion calls for community housing review in four villages
- 2 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 3 WATCH: The Fens celebrates its own 'Ark of Triumph'
- 4 G's to help save Christmas for poultry industry
- 5 HMO or flats divide councils but what happens to rest of hotel?
- 6 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 7 Man found dead in March
- 8 MP oversees climate change mock debate at Ely College
- 9 Pubs team up to raise £3,500 for British Heart Foundation
- 10 New Ely cinema, royal visit, Welney gets a hall and Thomas a new car
Colin, meanwhile, has not worked since 1990 because of health issues, but used to work as a transport manager for a scaffolding company.
Together they enjoy fishing, walking and “Colin plays with his cameras,” said Olive.
Last year, the keen gardeners were also awarded Allotment of the Year.