Colby’s Simply Thai crowdfunder offers food rewards for cash pledges
Thai street food could be coming to Ely thanks to a crowdfunding page which has already raised £685 of its £2,000 target.
Colby Smith, of Stretham, set up the page to help get Simply Thai, his small start-up business, off the ground.
“Although I studied catering at college I have tried my hands at many things over the years including professional cardboard box folding, running for councillor and recording hip-hop,” he said. “Now I’m looking for my calling in life.
“For me there is nothing more satisfying than to see people eating food I have cooked, and thoughout my somewhat meandering career I’ve always known my true calling was from the kitchen, without ever being able to turn my passion into something tangible.”
Thai food has always been a favourite of Colby’s, who aims to bring “the highest quality ingredients and freshly cooked dishes, along with the authentic taste of Thailand.
You may also want to watch:
“Simply Thai is already in talks with the council about pitches at Ely and throughout the surrounding areas. With your help we will be bringing Thai street food to a town near you.”
To entice people to pledge their money, Colby is offering food rewards.
- 1 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 2 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 3 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 4 Police buy clothes for Iranian children rescued from lorry
- 5 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 6 Sparkling sake brewery launches in Ely
- 7 City short-listed to house Museum of Brexit
- 8 Bid to ban ex- mayor running pub “a joke” says cabinet member
- 9 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 10 Have your say on plans to improve city rail station
“Starting from one free dish for a £10 donation to 50 meals for £500, there are rewards to suit every pocket.
“They’re essentially making an investment and getting their return in pad Thai or Thai currys.”
The money will be used to re-energise his small trailer, which is “in need of some TLC, but I don’t have the money to do it myself.
“I was given a small run down catering trailer and the promise from a highly-trained family member that they would teach me secret Thai family recipes, practiced and perfected over a lifetime.”
Colby has received pledges from as far as Dubai, but needs to reach £2,000 to bring Simply Thai to life.
To pledge visit www.crowdfunder.co.uk/simply-thai
For more information search SimplyThaiUk on Facebook or Twitter.