Coffee and cake help raise hundreds for Macmillan
- Credit: Archant
The World’s Biggest Coffee Morning saw venues across East Cambridgeshire packed with cakes, scones and all manner of baked treats this week – with hundreds of pounds raised.
The annual event raises funds for Macmillan Cancer Support and everyone from Indian restaurants to funeral directors in East Cambs signed up to take part.
At Nellie’s Community Café, in Scott Court, Sutton, organisers raised an impressive £665.85. Helen Malkin said: “We would like to thank everyone that came along, donated cakes or prizes and helped make this a successful day.”
In Prickwillow, the village branch of the Women’s Institute hosted an event in the village hall and added £348.70 to the cause. Melanie O’Farrell said: “We had a great morning with lots of very generous visitors, yummy cakes, homemade jams and chutneys. We would like to say a big ‘thank you’ to everyone who makes the effort to support this wonderful cause.”
Mike and Anthea Fox, meanwhile, held their 12th Macmillan coffee morning in Sutton, with the help of family and friends, and raised £430. Anthea said: “The glorious weather meant people were able to spill out of the house and into the garden to enjoy their coffee and cake.”
You may also want to watch:
The Lighthouse Centre, in Ely, raised £250 while Ely Methodist Church raised £424 through its event. Ely Funeral Service, in Fore Hill, raised £147.
- 1 Dr Nik 'over the moon' after pulling off shock Labour victory
- 2 Lib Dems score notable successes in East Cambridgeshire
- 3 Dr Nik Johnson elected Mayor of Cambridgeshire and Peterborough.
- 4 Littleport tops poll for the lowest turnout in council elections
- 5 Drink driver TWICE rammed off-duty officers' car
- 6 Stagecoach suspends Milton park and ride
- 7 Death crash driver who fled is jailed
- 8 Voters 'given a clear indication that they wish for us to try and run the council'
- 9 Farm shop receives 'overwhelming' response ahead of opening
- 10 30 East Cambs candidates compete for 8 Cambridgshire County council seats