Brass band receives £300 funding boost from Littleport Co-op supermarket
- Credit: Supplied
An East Cambs brass band has received a £300 funding boost thanks to Co-op supermarket shoppers.
Littleport Brass was presented with a cheque after customers of the Main Street store suggested the group should receive some cash.
The Co-op sells books and toys and ornaments donated by customers on a stall in the shop and they are then bought by other customers.
The funds raised are given to local good causes suggested by their customers.
Joan Sharpe, a regular customer, suggested Littleport Brass as a worthwhile recipient.
You may also want to watch:
Joan is the wife of Littleport Brass band president Bill Sharpe, and mother of two players, Graham and Simon.
Joan also donates books to the cause - and says she does buy a few back too!
- 1 Defeated mayor on 'incredible' and 'some truly awful' people he met
- 2 Villagers 'clap for Dr Nik' to celebrate mayoralty victory
- 3 Man arrested on suspicion of murder after death of woman in her 70s
- 4 Lib Dem gains in East Cambs send shivers down county Tories spine
- 5 Epic escape fail for ‘armed thieves’ who crashed car into ditch
- 6 Dr Nik 'over the moon' after pulling off shock Labour victory
- 7 Stagecoach suspends Milton park and ride
- 8 Firefighters tackle deliberate barn blaze for more than four hours
- 9 Village-wide pyjama day raises £1,600 for Cambridge's new children’s hospital
- 10 Prosecuted drone pilot breached Civil Aviation Authority regulations
The band rehearses every Wednesday evening in their newly re-decorated and refurbished bandroom behind the Littleport Ex-Servicemen's Club.
Co-op manager Matt Thorogood and team manager Angela Allum were introduced by Joan at the handover on January 8.
Matt gave a short speech about their charitable efforts, how they divide the money at the end of the year to local causes nominated by their customers.
They have previously given to Peacock's Meadow, Adams Heritage Centre among others, and are looking to raise enough for a defibrillator too.