Club which raises thousands for children’s charity on the hunt for new members
- Credit: Archant
A dining club which raises thousands of pounds for the NSPCC is on the look out for new members.
The Ely Dining Club is inviting people to join up and help raise vital funds for the children’s charity, whilst making new friends and hearing from guest speakers at the club’s home in the Poets House restaurant, Ely.
The club, which currently has approximately 45 members, meets six times a year for lunch and a talk – subjects vary from antique furniture and prison life, to historical houses and female bomb disposal experts. The next lunch takes place on June 17.
The club has just moved to its new home in the Writing Room at Poets House, meaning it can now accommodate even more members. Poets house is in St Mary’s Street.
The Ely Dining Club was set up nine years ago and since then has raised more than £25,000. All funds raised by the club help the NSPCC to protect vulnerable children through its projects and services including ChildLine – the UK’s free, confidential 24-hour helpline and online service for children and young people.
Club spokesman, Sylvia Farmer, said: “We meet six times a year either on a Monday or a Tuesday and lunch is followed by a guest speaker. We have been extremely privileged to have had speakers of distinction, covering a wide range of interests and topics.
“We’d like to welcome new members to the Ely Dining Club so if you would like an excellent lunch and speaker and an opportunity to meet up with like-minded people then do join up.”
- 1 Back garden log cabin needs permission says council
- 2 Preschool 'special in people's hearts' to close after more than 30 years
- 3 Change of plan for A142 Mepal bridge works as July closures announced
- 4 This Grade II listed Georgian home in Ely could be yours for £575,000
- 5 Replacement home not good enough says council
- 6 Daughter pays tribute to model engineer who 'tried his hand at anything'
- 7 ‘It’s sadly coming to a natural end’ - restaurant to close its doors by August
- 8 Large Hotel of the Year winner is proud of its history
- 9 21st century agreement on future of 17th century pub
- 10 BMX star, 11, hopes world debut can lead to Olympics dream
Membership is £25 per annum and £16 per lunch. To find out more about the Ely Dining Club or to become a member, contact Sylvia Farmer on 01353 777 373.