Classic Regatta with vintage boats
ELY will host its first regatta in living memory on Saturday, featuring a barbecue, an artwork display and dozens of boats on the river Great Ouse. Races start at noon and will include novice Virus boats, boys coxed quadruple sculls as well as women s c
ELY will host its first regatta in living memory on Saturday, featuring a barbecue, an artwork display and dozens of boats on the river Great Ouse.
Races start at noon and will include novice 'Virus' boats, boys coxed quadruple sculls as well as women's coxed double sculls and a display of new Toppers.
The Classic Regatta will make use of Ely Rowing Club's vintage boats, and races will hark back to the days of classic racing. Teams will row across a three-furlong festival course instead of today's metric courses.
Derek Pickersgill of Ely Rowing Club said it is hoped that the regatta will become an annual event.
You may also want to watch:
Refreshments will be in the form of a barbecue with local produce, while artist Stuart Green will display his ideas for displays celebrating the Oxford-Cambridge Boat Race of 1944, which was held on the river at Ely.
- 1 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 2 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 3 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 4 Mosque trust named RIBA client of the year 2021
- 5 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 6 Meet the star cast of Christmas pantomime Sleeping Beauty
- 7 Police investigation after village pavilion covered in graffiti
- 8 Council expects to spend £2.4m less on older people due to 'Covid loss'
- 9 US jets to practice flypast over Suffolk this morning
- 10 Lisa Leader makes it to Germany for life prolonging treatment