Classic cars take celebration tour
ALMOST 80 Standard cars made their way through Ely on Saturday as part of a double celebration. The Standard Motorclub were marking the 60th anniversary of the Standard s classic car, the Vanguard, and embarking on their 48th international rally. Approxim
ALMOST 80 Standard cars made their way through Ely on Saturday as part of a double celebration.
The Standard Motorclub were marking the 60th anniversary of the Standard's classic car, the Vanguard, and embarking on their 48th international rally.
Approximately 2,500 of their members turned up, with some people from as far as Australia, Switzerland, France, Belgium and Denmark.
Club committee member Ian Leggett said: "It was a brilliant day. There was so much to organise and everything went as smoothly as we could have possibly hoped.
You may also want to watch:
"Lots of people turned up to see the cars, which dated from 1913 to 1963, and to find out more about them and we even had a few people from the area, who are not members of our club, turning up with their own Standards."
They set off from Waterbeach at 10.45am and came into Ely, heading past the cathedral and market place and then on to Littleport, Downham Market, Nordelph and Welney.
- 1 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 2 Sparkling sake brewery launches in Ely
- 3 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 4 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 5 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 6 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 7 Man to appear in court after smashing police car window with sledgehammer
- 8 Transport company donates advertising to children’s brain tumour charity
- 9 Man in court over special constable assault and theft of alcohol
- 10 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse