Cheffins to sell classic sports car owned by Jamiroquai popstar Jay Kay
- Credit: Archant
This 1972 Mercedes 350SL Coupe was owned by the Space Cowboy himself Jay Kay from Jamiroquai – but now it could be yours.
The vintage classic is set to sell for up to £15,000 when it goes under the hammer at Cheffins Vintage Sale in Sutton next month.
The car comes with a file including a photograph of Jay Kay with the car and a handwritten note from the musician stating that he was its previous owner.
“Yes I owned this 350SL. Try 3rd gear!!” it reads.
But the popstar, who is the voice behind hits Space Cowboy and Virtual Insanity, is not only the famous face to have sat behind the wheel.
It has also been driven on TV by Quentin Wilson and Jodie Kidd as well as featuring in Classic Cars magazine.
Auctioneers say the car is unusual, being a rare manual version petrol V8 powered SL and remains in original condition complete with its hardtop.
- 1 Smoke plume in village near Cambridge thought to be car fire
- 2 Cambridgeshire man kicked and headbutted police officers
- 3 Have your say on proposed commercial development in Ely
- 4 Casualty treated for smoke inhalation following house fire
- 5 Threat to cancel or 'indefinitely pause' £450m Ely rail upgrade
- 6 Stansted Airport and Cambridge trains disrupted after tree falls on tracks
- 7 Duke and Duchess of Cambridge arrive in Newmarket for Cambs County Day
- 8 Development plans submitted for next phase of Cambridge North
- 9 IN PICTURES: Wills and Kate visit Cambridgeshire's first County Day
- 10 Family business claims two awards in face of pandemic pressure
Jeremy Curzon, director of Cheffins, said: “This Mercedes 350 SL is a very desirable car, sought-after by SL enthusiasts.
“This one in particular is very rare in its manual form which is perhaps why well-known petrol head Jay Kay of Jamiroquai specifically wanted this model.”
Car enthusiast Jay Kay has more than 100 cars in his collection, with three having featured in his music videos for Jamiroquai.
The 48-year-old also took to the tracks in several series of BBC’s Top Gear and the Celebrity Challenge race at the 2012 Silverstone Classic, finishing third.
“This is a good, honest car with sheaves of bills and receipts,” Jeremy continued.
“It will need minor levels of tidying up but it is on offer at a very competitive price. It is the car that has starred both on TV and in glossy mags and with its unusual history is sure to set pulses racing amongst car buyers at the vintage sale.”
It has an estimate of £12,000 to £15,000 and will be offered at the Cheffins Cambridge Vintage Sale on October 20 at Sutton, near Ely.
For more information contact Cheffins on 01353 777 767 or visit www.cheffins.co.uk