City set to have an ‘eely’ good time at Ely’s annual festival
- Credit: Archant
Thousands of people are set to flock to Ely next month for its annual Eel Festival.
The four-day extravaganza to celebrate the origins of the eel will kick off with the famous Eel Parade, a carnival-inspired procession through the High Street and down to the river.
Other events of Eel Day include the Town Criers’ Competition and the World Eel Throwing Competition to try to beat the World Record of more than 17 metres.
As usual, the Eel Food Safari will return with a selection of local food outlets providing special dishes inspired by the eel theme.
The weekend is organised by the Visit Ely team and runs from April 28 to May 1.
Councillor Richard Hobbs, chairman of the commercial services committee at East Cambridgeshire District Council said: “This is easily one of the most popular and well-attended events in the Ely calendar and we are expecting crowds of visitors.
“They will be able to enjoy a full programme of arena events including music, dancing, a living history enactment and a street food scene with more than 75 artisan and specialist food and drink traders showcasing their wares.”
- 1 See inside this £1.7m country house with its own lake near Ely
- 2 EastEnders star Adam Woodyatt ‘to work at restaurant in Cambridgeshire’
- 3 Village toasts Queen's Platinum Jubilee with a memorable touch
- 4 Weekend closure for A142 for bridge works between Ely and Chatteris
- 5 Inside the £165,000 luxury river boat for sale in the Fens
- 6 Princess Anne unveils new 'national treasure' Jubilee table in Ely
- 7 'Gas engineer' reportedly stole two phones and a purse in Haddenham
- 8 Coach shocked as girls football idea goes from strength to strength
- 9 Superintendent dons rainbow helmet against hate crime on #IDAHOBIT
- 10 ‘If it wasn’t for NICU I possibly wouldn’t be here today’ - Darren fundraising for Addenbrooke's
Among highlights is the Cookery Theatre where internationally-renowned chef Theo Randall and current MasterChef’s winner Jane Devonshire will be demonstrating a variety of dishes alongside some of our much-loved local chefs.
There is also the chance to meet and greet the celebrity chefs for a Q&A hour with book signings at the ‘Audience With’ sessions to be held at Oliver Cromwell’s House.