City set to have an ‘eely’ good time at Ely’s annual festival
- Credit: Archant
Thousands of people are set to flock to Ely next month for its annual Eel Festival.
The four-day extravaganza to celebrate the origins of the eel will kick off with the famous Eel Parade, a carnival-inspired procession through the High Street and down to the river.
Other events of Eel Day include the Town Criers’ Competition and the World Eel Throwing Competition to try to beat the World Record of more than 17 metres.
As usual, the Eel Food Safari will return with a selection of local food outlets providing special dishes inspired by the eel theme.
The weekend is organised by the Visit Ely team and runs from April 28 to May 1.
You may also want to watch:
Councillor Richard Hobbs, chairman of the commercial services committee at East Cambridgeshire District Council said: “This is easily one of the most popular and well-attended events in the Ely calendar and we are expecting crowds of visitors.
“They will be able to enjoy a full programme of arena events including music, dancing, a living history enactment and a street food scene with more than 75 artisan and specialist food and drink traders showcasing their wares.”
- 1 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 2 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 3 Our archives reveal the 'crackpot' idea to re-open disused rail lines
- 4 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 5 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 6 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 7 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 8 Police buy clothes for Iranian children rescued from lorry
- 9 Sparkling sake brewery launches in Ely
- 10 Have your say on plans to improve city rail station
Among highlights is the Cookery Theatre where internationally-renowned chef Theo Randall and current MasterChef’s winner Jane Devonshire will be demonstrating a variety of dishes alongside some of our much-loved local chefs.
There is also the chance to meet and greet the celebrity chefs for a Q&A hour with book signings at the ‘Audience With’ sessions to be held at Oliver Cromwell’s House.