Popular markets to reopen ‘for essential food items’ amid COVID-19 pandemic
- Credit: Ely Markets
The popular markets in Ely are set to reopen next month to allow residents to buy essential food items without having to go into supermarkets.
June 11 is the rumoured date and was revealed by one stall holder who was told by organisers they were not able to reopen as they are non-essensial.
Susanne Stent of Silver Oak Coffee said: “The Ely Market team have told traders they are planning for the markets to reopen on June 11.
“In the first stage this will only be for essential food items, not take out coffee unfortunately, and will only be the Thursday and Saturday markets.
“I’m sure they will be updating people with their final plans soon.
“So we have a bit longer to wait until we can make you your latte or mocha or flattie.”
After being forced shut due to the coronavirus, Silver Oak Coffee are now taking orders online and over the phone.
- 1 Boys, 13 and 17 killed in horror BMW crash near A47 in Peterborough
- 2 'Normally unacceptable' barn demolition wins green light
- 3 Motorcyclist caught ‘speeding over 100mph’ past police near Ely
- 4 Man in his 40s suffers ‘life-changing injuries’ in major crash on A14
- 5 Ely Heroes winner, Alison, attends royal garden party after three-year wait
- 6 Shoplifter who stole from store 10 times in five weeks handed CBO
- 7 Police take a tough stance as begging crackdown continues
- 8 Pupils ensure 'Eel-izabeth' comes to life for Queen's Platinum Jubilee
- 9 REVEALED: The 'gang of five' who want Dr Nik Johnson gone
- 10 New March station will 'help people to use petrol and diesel cars less'
Mrs Stent added: “In the meantime, Bruce is still roasting twice a week and taking orders online and over the phone.
“He is also experimenting with our own nitro Cold Brew, which will be something to look forward to.”