City eyesore due for a revamp
LONG-awaited plans to improve an “unsightly” area surrounding Ely Cathedral have been submitted to the district council.
Steeple Row runs adjacent to the northern edge of the cathedral and is backed on to by a number of High Street shops.
The area is poorly lit and is home to a number of industrial bins which have made it a source of continued concern for the City of Ely Council and its partners at city improvement bodies the Ely Society and Ely Perspective.
City of Ely Mayor John Yates told the Ely Standard: “We were delighted to receive the plans, we think they will enhance that part of Ely substantially.
“It’s a lovely part of Ely that is spoiled by waste bins and what we would like to see is that part enhanced which we hope these plans will do.”
You may also want to watch:
Mayor Yates added that the plans, which had been put together over a number of years, were now before officers at the district council and that the city council remained positive that they would get approval.
If approved, the groups hope to introduce new up-lighting, York stone pathways, artworks and landscaping as well as areas for new seating. The groups also plan to designate a screened area where the industrial bins can be stored out of sight.
- 1 £100k homes scrapped 'with almost immediate effect' says Mayor
- 2 Dr Nik in Ely for his first day as Cambridgeshire and Peterborough Mayor
- 3 Man suspected to have stolen '£300-400' of alcohol in store theft
- 4 Have your say on Network Rail increasing rail capacity through Ely
- 5 Woman, 78, suffers horrific injuries after e-scooter hit-and-run
- 6 Murder suspect is victim's son
- 7 Widow of High Court judge, 77, charged with historical sexual abuse
- 8 Eggs from Peregrine Falcons nesting on Ely Cathedral rooftop hatch
- 9 Railways to royalty - a nostalgic look at Ely and Cambridgeshire
- 10 Punch in face leaves man with fractured nose
Plans to improve the area have been in the pipeline since 2008, and will also take into account the adjoining Cross Green and Palace Green areas.
English Heritage, which has been involved with the plans given their proximity to the cathedral, said: “The proposals have the potential to deliver real enhancement of this part of the Ely Conservation Area and there will be real benefits if the issue of the bins on Steeple Row can be properly resolved. English Heritage is therefore supportive of the proposals.”