City eyesore due for a revamp
LONG-awaited plans to improve an “unsightly” area surrounding Ely Cathedral have been submitted to the district council.
Steeple Row runs adjacent to the northern edge of the cathedral and is backed on to by a number of High Street shops.
The area is poorly lit and is home to a number of industrial bins which have made it a source of continued concern for the City of Ely Council and its partners at city improvement bodies the Ely Society and Ely Perspective.
City of Ely Mayor John Yates told the Ely Standard: “We were delighted to receive the plans, we think they will enhance that part of Ely substantially.
“It’s a lovely part of Ely that is spoiled by waste bins and what we would like to see is that part enhanced which we hope these plans will do.”
Mayor Yates added that the plans, which had been put together over a number of years, were now before officers at the district council and that the city council remained positive that they would get approval.
If approved, the groups hope to introduce new up-lighting, York stone pathways, artworks and landscaping as well as areas for new seating. The groups also plan to designate a screened area where the industrial bins can be stored out of sight.
- 1 Councillor wants apology for Nadine Dorries 'misogynist' tweet
- 2 Prison for 'lavish lifestyle' drug dealer who hid £18k cash in sock drawer
- 3 New shop already 'exceeded expectations' after strong opening day
- 4 Driver escapes injury after car hits wall
- 5 Nuisance caller flouted court order day after prison release
- 6 Best Indian in CAMBRIDGESHIRE even though award says best in NORFOLK
- 7 How do Cambridgeshire Fens' Covid cases compare to November 2020 lockdown?
- 8 Magpas Air Ambulance doctor, Anne, shortlisted for national award
- 9 GP practices mark ‘momentous milestone’ in Covid-19 vaccine programme
- 10 Ely Rotary Club back with annual Christmas collection
Plans to improve the area have been in the pipeline since 2008, and will also take into account the adjoining Cross Green and Palace Green areas.
English Heritage, which has been involved with the plans given their proximity to the cathedral, said: “The proposals have the potential to deliver real enhancement of this part of the Ely Conservation Area and there will be real benefits if the issue of the bins on Steeple Row can be properly resolved. English Heritage is therefore supportive of the proposals.”