Cigarette caused shed fire in Ely, firefighters say
- Credit: Archant
A FIRE which destroyed two sheds in Ely on Thursday was caused by a carelessly discarded cigarette.
Two fire crews from Ely were called to a property in Newnham Street, shortly before 8pm, following reports that a fire had engulfed two sheds.
Firefighters used two hose reels and a hydrant to extinguish the fire and returned to their stations by 9.10pm.
The fire started accidentally and was caused by carelessly discarded cigarettes.
A spokeswoman for the fire service said: “Smoking materials when not discarded properly can quickly cause fires both inside and outside buildings.
“We would urge people to always extinguish cigarettes properly and never leave a lit cigarette unattended.”
- 1 East Cambs Council bins green waste collections for seven weeks
- 2 OPINION: Soham Station fiasco about to come to a conclusion, or is it?
- 3 'White van man' crashes into rail bridge
- 4 Pedestrian killed crossing road
- 5 Michaela’s horrific ordeal: ‘My partner threatened to slit my throat and bury me alive’
- 6 Auditor who fell ill on eve of farmgate report not returning to council
- 7 Village life, magistrate in court for failing to clear snow and forced landing
- 8 Prison for 'lavish lifestyle' drug dealer who hid £18k cash in sock drawer
- 9 Check before you travel ahead of major upgrade, commuters warned
- 10 1,800 enjoy free Christmas day out at Ely’s ‘hidden gem’