Cigarette caused shed fire in Ely, firefighters say

PUBLISHED: 09:49 19 April 2013 | UPDATED: 09:49 19 April 2013

Archant

A FIRE which destroyed two sheds in Ely on Thursday was caused by a carelessly discarded cigarette.

Two fire crews from Ely were called to a property in Newnham Street, shortly before 8pm, following reports that a fire had engulfed two sheds.

Firefighters used two hose reels and a hydrant to extinguish the fire and returned to their stations by 9.10pm.

The fire started accidentally and was caused by carelessly discarded cigarettes.

A spokeswoman for the fire service said: “Smoking materials when not discarded properly can quickly cause fires both inside and outside buildings.

“We would urge people to always extinguish cigarettes properly and never leave a lit cigarette unattended.”


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ely Standard. Click the link in the orange box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Ely Standard