Church targeted for lead in second raid
A VILLAGE church has been targeted by thieves for its lead roofing for the second time in as many years.
Crooks stripped almost two square metres of the costly material from the roof of the Holy Trinity Church in Haddenham overnight on Wednesday (March 9), leaving a section of the roof exposed to the elements.
The gap in the roof was spotted by a parishioner early on Thursday morning and the alarm was raised.
Holy Trinity vicar Fiona Brampton, told the Ely Standard: “It is frustrating for all the people who work so hard to keep the church tidy and well maintained when this happens.”
The vicar said that the thieves made little noise during the raid and said there was no indication that anything was amiss until a parishioner spotted daylight coming through the roof the following morning.
You may also want to watch:
It is the second time in as many years that the church has been targeted with a readily accessible area of lead taken during a previous raid.
“We had a large amount of lead taken from the porch a year ago and we decided to replace that with slate. I think the public need to be made aware that people are going around doing this,” said the vicar.
- 1 Did you go to Newmarket Nights? Spot yourself in our gallery
- 2 Residents told 'not to approach' illegal encampment
- 3 Not breaking news: Vicar with a vision, illegal fishing, workhouses and fork theft
- 4 Sweet Caroline and a dodgy knee - review of Olly Murs at Newmarket Nights
- 5 Jail for 'predator' who raped vulnerable woman in children's play park
- 6 Blush crowned best bridal shop in Cambs
- 7 Knife attack man jailed for 10 years over £20 'debt'
- 8 Drug dealer hid £130,000 at home
- 9 Hundreds sign petition in support of pub's cup of positivi-tea
- 10 Fire crews called to stables building blaze
Police are appealing for anyone with any information to contact the CIMU at Parkside Police Station in Cambridge on 0345 456 456 4 or Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555 111.
<piccap> Holy Trinity Church in Haddenham. Photo: HELEN DRAKE