Church Music Festival Held At Ely Cathedral
THE Ely Festival of Church Music 2009 was held at Ely Cathedral during the evening of May 16 and its theme was Yesterday, Today, and Forever to represent the past, the present, and the future of the church. This year s festival was part of the Ely 900
THE Ely Festival of Church Music 2009 was held at Ely Cathedral during the evening of May 16 and its theme was 'Yesterday, Today, and Forever' to represent the past, the present, and the future of the church.
This year's festival was part of the 'Ely 900' celebrations, the 900th anniversary of the founding of the Diocese of Ely. The music and liturgy were selected to provide a blend of the old and the new, reflecting the three headings, with special reference in many parts to the Diocese of Ely. Not only were traditional anthems and hymns included but there were new compositions of both words and music to celebrate this milestone in the Diocese's history.
John Rutter composed a new anthem which received its first performance at the festival and was conducted by the composer.
A new hymn, Saints of Ely, was also written for the occasion and a new tune and descant were composed for this.
You may also want to watch:
All choirs or singing groups were invited to take part in the festival which, apart from the Rutter anthem, was conducted by Paul Trepte (director of music at Ely Cathedral) and Jonathan Lilley was the organist. The music sung at the service included hymns, anthems, psalms and worship songs.
Pic cap: 2905HD0509. The choirs and music groups perform at the Ely Festival of Church Music held at Ely Cathedral.
- 1 Off-duty detective snares £200k drug dealer
- 2 Tractor driver error may have caused freight derailment in the Fens
- 3 Top Cabinet post for NE Cambs MP Steve Barclay
- 4 County council orders review into £120m lending to This Land
- 5 Van driver in ‘life threatening condition’ after crash
- 6 446 catalytic converter thefts in just 8 months reported in Cambridgeshire
- 7 ‘Fantastic’ week at musical theatre workshop
- 8 Police finally pull car from Fens river
- 9 Camp Beagle protest arrest on suspicion of ‘intimidation’
- 10 Six-year-old fundraising for air ambulance charity that helped sister during seizure
Photo: HELEN DRAKE