Church Music Festival Held At Ely Cathedral
THE Ely Festival of Church Music 2009 was held at Ely Cathedral during the evening of May 16 and its theme was Yesterday, Today, and Forever to represent the past, the present, and the future of the church. This year s festival was part of the Ely 900
THE Ely Festival of Church Music 2009 was held at Ely Cathedral during the evening of May 16 and its theme was 'Yesterday, Today, and Forever' to represent the past, the present, and the future of the church.
This year's festival was part of the 'Ely 900' celebrations, the 900th anniversary of the founding of the Diocese of Ely. The music and liturgy were selected to provide a blend of the old and the new, reflecting the three headings, with special reference in many parts to the Diocese of Ely. Not only were traditional anthems and hymns included but there were new compositions of both words and music to celebrate this milestone in the Diocese's history.
John Rutter composed a new anthem which received its first performance at the festival and was conducted by the composer.
A new hymn, Saints of Ely, was also written for the occasion and a new tune and descant were composed for this.
You may also want to watch:
All choirs or singing groups were invited to take part in the festival which, apart from the Rutter anthem, was conducted by Paul Trepte (director of music at Ely Cathedral) and Jonathan Lilley was the organist. The music sung at the service included hymns, anthems, psalms and worship songs.
Pic cap: 2905HD0509. The choirs and music groups perform at the Ely Festival of Church Music held at Ely Cathedral.
- 1 Bullying and insider trader claims pile up against former deputy leader
- 2 Cheers! Busy first weekend back for pub post-lockdown
- 3 Hundreds go bargain hunting in the sun at first car boot since lockdown
- 4 Suspected paedophile, 61, arrested in front of thousands on live video
- 5 Fears for historic vicarage council fought to save
- 6 Police officer sacked for racially abusing colleague at Christmas party
- 7 High Sheriff of Cambridgeshire honoured with new role
- 8 Three arrests after suspected brothel discovered
- 9 COLUMN: 'Expansion' the future for Ely rowing club
- 10 Large illegal knife and 45 cannabis plants found in police raid
Photo: HELEN DRAKE